Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question on timing belts..

Specifically roller replacement. I am getting ready to order everything for a timing belt job. I replaced all the rollers on the previous one. The question for those that have done this a few times on the same car is: How well do these last? I would prefer not to have to order those at this time. BTW, the car is an 87 944S.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
they should feel smooth but sluggish. if they spin freely....replace them
Old 04-14-2012, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick13 View Post
they should feel smooth but sluggish. if they spin freely....replace them
That I know. I am trying to get a feel for how well they last. I know these have 40K miles on them. Do they typically have to be replaced every timing belt service?
Old 04-14-2012, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Usually do the wp & rollers every other belt change.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

If you want a number 45K to 60K on the 968 . Inspect per rick13 and replace if necessary.

Camshaft / Balance Shaft Belt Information

I do not go by the belt replacement mileage. The cam belt is like $12 and I just replace it every 2nd or 3rd year--retensioned in between.

If you have any front seal oil leakage--replace.
If you have front engine oil seal leakage-replace.
If you replace the waterpump-replace.

And make sure you grab the waterpump pulley and tug, twist and pull for any out of ordinary movement. Poorly installed cam belts will burn out the seal or the bearing.

GL
John

Last edited by John_AZ; 04-14-2012 at 01:07 PM..
Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
All Spooled Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mericet View Post
That I know. I am trying to get a feel for how well they last. I know these have 40K miles on them. Do they typically have to be replaced every timing belt service?

They will last much longer if you "refurbish" them. If used, pop the seals off and clean all of the old grease out of them, along with the seals. Pack one side with generous amounts of fresh grease, pop the seal back on, and then do the other side. If new, just add extra grease to them. If you have a grease gun and an injection needle, push the needle under the inside lip of the seal, and pump the grease in until it's fully packed. To keep things clean, you may want to spin the bearings around a little bit, so any excess grease gets pushed out past the seal. Then wipe the outside of the bearing clean, and it's ready to go in. If you start out with new ones that have extra grease added, and then refurbish them every time that you do the belts, I think they'd probably last forever.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: