Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuel System Question

piggy backing on my earlier thread.

The car runs while spraying engine starter in the air intake. But I can't seem to get the fuel up the line (get the line primed) to get the car itsself running. When I parked it the car ran, 100%, it was hard to start but once started it never had any problems. I would park it for 48 hours and have to turn it over 5 or 6 individual times to get it started again, now its been parked for about 5 months and I need to get it back on the road

Any thoughts ? I have added octane to the tank along with some fresh gas, I am trying to use engine starter to get it to prime and get it running, the basis is I think my fuel check valve thing is shot and so the fuel runs back out of the line (slowly). However once running it runs fine

Update

The pump turns on when the car is turning over
There is electricity at the cold start valve and there is fuel.
There is fuel pressurized going to the distributor...

it wont start...

Last edited by rialaigh; 04-16-2012 at 11:31 AM..
Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I believe you're on the right track w/fuel check valve.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

fuel check valve is good.
There is pressure to the distributor but not to lines on the far side of the distributor where the fuel lines go to the engine.

as far as I can tell the hangup is on the distributor.

Is there any type of stupid kill switch that would cut the fuel off from going through the distributor

Is there a way to clean the distributor or to rebuild it
Old 04-16-2012, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
There is not a certain switch to shut off the fuel from entering/leaving the fuel rail - check the fuel pressure regulator for contaminants and being jammed up. There is also another little can on the fuel rail called the Fuel Dampener, check that also for operation.

This is so odd to have fuel in the Fuel Rail (Fuel Collection Pipe - Fuel distributor Pipe - Fuel Manifold), and the car is not running - Check also for spark to the plugs, and check the injectors for pulse with a Noid Light...The problem could be elsewhere.
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word

Last edited by Cocacolakidd; 04-16-2012 at 03:14 PM..
Old 04-16-2012, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I am going to do some more checking tomorrow. I need at least one new fuel line but that does not explain the problem.

The car will run if you have someone constantly spraying ether through it so plenty of spark and every working there. However there has to be some muck up in the distributor...cause I have pressurized fuel like crazy going in but nothing coming out, so I think because of the block all the fuel is bypassing the distributor and going straight down the return line
Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
The fuel enters the fuel rail by the Fuel Pressure Regulator - check there.

Note: The fuel cannot circulate unless it goes thru the fuel rail and then back by return lines - also check Injectors with a noid light (Noid light about $5 at Local Auto Parts).

Last edited by Cocacolakidd; 04-16-2012 at 07:28 PM..
Old 04-16-2012, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocacolakidd View Post
The fuel enters the fuel rail by the Fuel Pressure Regulator - check there.

Note: The fuel cannot circulate unless it goes thru the fuel rail and then back by return lines - also check Injectors with a noid light (Noid light about $5 at Local Auto Parts).

anywhere I can get a diagram of what thisall looks like?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
There may be diagrams like that. I do not have any, and the closest thing to a diagram I have is in My Work Shop Manuals - Maybe others can chime in on those Diagrams if they know of any.

Check fuel to Fuel Rail by loosening the Check nut at the very front end of the fuel rail. Be careful when you loosen that nut there as fuel may leak out, and also just inside there is a smallish ball bearing that is used as a seal ball - do not loose it, it must be in place or the fuel rail will definitely leak.

Have you checked the DME Fuel Pump Relay - maybe the fuel pump is not pumping like you think.

Also please post what car it is - could make a difference...

Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: