Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Timing belt replacement

Well, I am almost at the 30k mile mark and I was just wondering if it is really necessary to replace the rollers and tensioners for the balance/timing belt. I did the last belt change with the rollers, tensioners, water pump and oil seals, but I don't know the reliability of how long they last and would like some input before I spend more money than I have to.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The rollers are an "as required" item. There is no specified interval for replacement of them, however making sure they are in good shape is part of the TB replacement procedure. They should have a little drag a but be smooth and have no axial or radial play.

That being said, most experienced 944 owners find it prudent to replace the water pump and rollers every other belt change(i.e. replace the WP one time and the rollers the next).

Jackson
Old 04-24-2012, 02:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
If you can spin the rollers and they roll on for a few seconds or make noise, replace them. They shouldn't roll like the clamp on roller skates of the 60's. Since my '87 was acquired a year ago, I chose to replace everything to get a good base-line start on the replacement intervals.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: