Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

valve springs

Why is there such a difference in price for valve springs. The turbo ones are so much cheaper than the ones for the NA. I have been told to put turbo springs in my 86 NA and this will be better from a performance standpoint. Others said it will cause premature valvetrain wear. Thoughts?

So three questions:

One tested bad. should I replace all 8 springs?

Should I use the Turbo springs?

Has anyone used this "Scherdel" brand with good results?

Porsche 924S/944/968 Pistons, Heads & Valves - Page 1

Old 04-25-2012, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
The difference in Turbo Valve Springs and NA valve Springs is only the inner spring for the Turbo as it is 20# more in spring tension - So basically both sets of springs are very close in all tolerances. With the stiffer Turbo springs slightly higher engine revolutions can be had. Cams are same materials, and very close in lift and duration. Plus the lifters are the same also. Basically all differences being slight it would be a coin toss as to which set to use. If they are cheaper for you I would use the Turbo Springs. Maybe at 300K miles one might see a little bit more cam or lifter wear with the stiffer Turbo Springs.

Springs are paired as one inner and one outer - They can be mixed and matched between the inner and outer springs. In other words an inner spring can be matched with any outer spring. So if you have a bad pair of springs toss them and get another pair. If only one spring is bad toss that one (Be it inner or outer) and get another one (Most are sold as pairs though).
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks kid

Ordered the turbo springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocacolakidd View Post
The difference in Turbo Valve Springs and NA valve Springs is only the inner spring for the Turbo as it is 20# more in spring tension - So basically both sets of springs are very close in all tolerances. With the stiffer Turbo springs slightly higher engine revolutions can be had. Cams are same materials, and very close in lift and duration. Plus the lifters are the same also. Basically all differences being slight it would be a coin toss as to which set to use. If they are cheaper for you I would use the Turbo Springs. Maybe at 300K miles one might see a little bit more cam or lifter wear with the stiffer Turbo Springs.

Springs are paired as one inner and one outer - They can be mixed and matched between the inner and outer springs. In other words an inner spring can be matched with any outer spring. So if you have a bad pair of springs toss them and get another pair. If only one spring is bad toss that one (Be it inner or outer) and get another one (Most are sold as pairs though).

Old 04-25-2012, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: