Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Oil pressure drops when hot

So, a couple months ago I had an oil problem where I wasn't getting any oil pressure. I replaced the OPRV with a used, working, updated OPRV from an 86 951 (I have an 86 n/a). So when I got the OPRV, I replaced the inner and outer seal, and I thought my oil pressure issues were gone. I also switched to a different weight, from the original 5w-50 to what I run now, 10w-40. When I start the car now, the oil pressure is at it's normal idle and under pressure..pressure. However, as the weather gets warmer, and I drive my 30 minutes down I-75 (avg 80 mph), when I get off the highway, my oil pressure bounces, a long with the revs, and eventually it will drops fast and severe that it stalls the car out. Anyone know what the problem could be?

The car is an 86 n/a. FRWilks race chip (possible problem?), Fidanza Aluminium flywheel, and 3" straigh-thru exhaust. Crazy setup for a DD, but I havent had any problems until now. OPRV was rebuilt and replaced, no signs of excessive wear or anything. I have a feeling that the combination of Georgia heat, race chip, and aluminum flywheel might be the problem. So, when I get time, I'll replace the chip with the stock one. So, any input or feedback about what would cause the engine, when fully warmed up, to stall out and have oil pressure fluxuate? Cooling is not an issue, reads normal.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My experience has been that 10w40 is too light for summer. Go back to the 50 and that should solve the low oil pressure when warm problem. I run 20w50 Brad Penn or Valvoline Racing.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I also didnt like the bouncing oil pressure gauge. I switch to Mobil1 15 50 at about 8k miles and never looked back. Been having steady oil pressure since. So i would agree. Move back to the 50 weight.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'll give that a shot this weekend! I was focusing a lot on just bringing up the bottom end from 5-10, because I was having low oil pressure on startup (fixed when I replace a broken inner seal and put the correct one in). I neglected the upper end. I'll switch back though. Thanks!

Also, what are your opinions on winter time? Hope I'm not starting another oil argument lol
Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
'68 911 / '86 944

Garage
My '86 with 120K+ miles ran fine for normal driving, but oil pressure dropped low (red warning light) after a 30 min DE track session.

I replaced the connecting rod bearings, added an oil pan baffle and collar around the oil pick up. Problem solved.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

hopps, Use 20W50 oil for our location and your oil pressure should go back up on the hot days. Oil maker is your choice. Use Search and you'll have dozens of different answers.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 04-27-2012, 06:12 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: