Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My 944 N/A to the DRAG STRIP!

I am taking my 88' 944 N/A to the drag strip. I have a K&N and a DME 4-14 HP chip. Has anyone here ran their non turbo 944's here? About what should i expect to run????

Old 05-06-2002, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

16 sec at about 82-85
Old 05-06-2002, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fty
Terrrrible......944s look silly at the dragstrip....btu they are champs.at the autox.........
Old 05-06-2002, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered Loser

I've dragged my 944 n/a and it was a blast !! I lost every race, but WHO CARES ?? My car has an automatic tranny and was fighting a vacuum leak on cylinder #4...so I only managed a 17.5 second 1/4 mile...but I will be back this summer to do it all over again...half the fun is hanging out at the track and checking out all of the vintage muscle cars in attendance...I even saw a guy with an old Ferrari 246 (?) pull a 10 second quarter mile...insane...don't listen to the experts...line up at the light tree...watch the lights drop...put your foot to the floor and yell at the top of your lungs as your opponent blows past on the way to the finish...it is pure adolescent fun...

Old 05-06-2002, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
least common denominator

Thumbs up

Funny thread:
Ya know everyone on this board told me if I sell my '84 944 to move up to a newer Porsche I would not be able to get any money for it... and they were right (I hate it when that happens)
So I was watching the import drags on ESPN yesterday and (my sick twisted mind) started thinking...
Hmmm you can fit ten inch rims on the back of a 944...
You can get NOX for a 944...
You can get a super charger for a 944...

Hmmm...

Of course the engine would be a hand grenade but the car would only be run a few times a year. (like most drag race cars)

On the other hand I would have to live in fear of the hit men the PCA, POC, and PNA would put on my tail!

Scott (forty five year old going on eighteen)
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered Loser

Yes, you are sick and twisted and I like it ... let's run with this thread since speculation is harmless, right? What can be done to improve 1/4 mile times on a 944? Well, I am currently planning to rebuild the tranny on my 911 with lower 2nd and 3rd gears in order to improve 0 - 60 accelleration...one could perhaps regear a 944 to optimize the 1/4 mile...perhaps a locking differential as well? Those two mods would not cause any permanent damage to the car...racing slicks and 10 inch rear wheels? Sure, perfectly harmless...skinny wheels up front....also lighten the car by removing the passenger seat, spare tire, excess insulation...race it on 1/4 tank of gas...all of these are harmless and relatively affordable...for more money one could buy a "spare" fiberglass hood with a scoop and fashion a basic ram air system...

All of those mods would leave a relatively small footprint on the car and your wallet...as for nitrous and supercharging...some folks on this BBS have done those...and I'd think if you didn't boost the compression into the stratosphere, the engine should be able to take it...these porsche cars are not wimps...thay can take some abuse...

Oh, and definitely buy a big window sticker with the letter "R" on it. For some reason, the "ricers" think this makes thier cars go faster...tee hee...
Old 05-06-2002, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I was at the drag strip with my 951 ran an 15.8 with no start at all it was at like 900rpm start lol. I just did that cause my stupid V8 friends told me to run the strip to see what times I get. Show I really showed them the Porsche power at the strip and made a bet with any of the guys that I can turn laps on the track ahead of there V8s.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
Isn't a 15.8 pretty slow for a 951, even with a bad launch?
Old 05-06-2002, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

That is what you are going to get if you have no launch. The pcar is not a drag car!
Old 05-06-2002, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The turbo should run an 14.2 in a 1/4 mile that's what the owner's manual says so an 15.8 is about right with no launch at all you have to figure the time it takes to get to around 3500 rpm for the turbo to boost all the way.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MBuck951
I have tried to run my 951 at the strip a few times. I had neither the courage nor the money to drop/slip the clutch as needed. It should run in the 14's stock, but you'll never see me run that. I'll stick to the tracks with turns.

BTW: a buddy of mine ran 12.3 @ 119 in his BPU+ supra TT the other night. This is another reason I need never go there again
Old 05-06-2002, 11:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hoff944
The drag racing scene I've seen around here is pretty redneck and hillbilly. I guess the NHRA stands for National Hillbilly & Redneck Association..

Last edited by hoff944; 05-06-2002 at 11:49 PM..
Old 05-06-2002, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered Loser

Hoff944 - I'm sorry to hear about the redneck element at your local drag strip...up here in New England, there is a place in Epping, New Hampshire called the New England Dragway...it is normally a pro track, but on Wednesday and Friday nights during the summer, they let regular folks drag...and it is lots of fun...zillions of muscle cars...a smattering of imports and even some unmodified pickups and compact cars with people who just want to have fun...I will be there again this summer...
Old 05-07-2002, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Brandon85-944 Send a message via AIM to Brandon85-944
Talking

Someone said dragging there 944 and I come a running. Even though I own an early 85 944 n/a there is a little part of me that wishes i had an SS Camaro to run at the strip. So one day I opted to go to the gainesville speedway in Flordia and try out the car. If you are going to go to an event like this, get there early and plan to spend the whole night there so you can look at and ogle at all the pretty cars. After waiting in line for 30 min i managed to get their local garage area to have the car inspected for racing conditions. Once that finnished i proceeded to the staging area for my first run. I can tell ya I was pretty damn nervous, and did what any normal first timer would do and drop the clutch so hard with the rpm's so high that i was spinning for a couple of seconds while the other car was on it's way to victory, damn it felt good though. Just to give you an idea of what i ran I saved my time tickets because i'm definately going back once i make some modifications. My first run i finnished the 1/4 mile at 16.522 at 83.96 mph. Second run 1/4 mile at 16.338 at 85.26 mph. Third run 16.047 at 85.70 mph. I wanted to go again to see if i could get a clean run and finnish in the high 15's but they finnished dialing in their cars so that they could compete and i decided to watch from there. Peopl don't realize that it doesn't matter what car you go down there with you have a chance at winning some races because in order to race your car you have to "dial it in" and what that means is that you right a 1/4 mile time on your car that you can achieve with out going under. The person out of the two cars racing that comes closer to their dial in times is the winner. So it's a matter of how efficiently you drive the car. Also if anybody decides to visit the stip often make sure to pick up a Log Book. This book has everything in it so that you can keep track of your times, the weather, reaction time, lane, launch rpm, tire pressure, weight and etc... I really think that the drag strip is something that all car owners should experience, because who buys a car without thinking how fast it can go!

Brandon 85-944
Old 05-07-2002, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I am so disipointed in my '83 944. I knew that Porsche was known for racing with curves, but come on. My car has no quickness whatsoever. I actually believe that my 2001 Toyota Corolla LE could take it light to light, with the car seat and a stroller in the trunk. Please save me the trouble, if I ever can sell the '83 944 with out loosing my ass on it, will the 951 really not run low 14's in the quarter mile? There isn't a lot of curvy roads in Oklahoma, so what I need in a car is how quick I can get to the speed limit, and how good the car looks getting there.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
seb928s, what was your trap speed?
Ahmet
Old 11-02-2003, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
I still think 15.8 is slow for a 951, even with a bad launch....

I'm also curious as to what the trap speed was.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 11-03-2003, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
hmmm... here's a trick i do in my VW every time a hon-duh wants to race...

Start in 2nd gear 944s should have enough torque to get it up there, plus it saves you a gear of shifting...

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 11-03-2003, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
Id like to bring my car to a drag strip. Just for fun of course. I live for the curves.

-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 11-03-2003, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: