Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest '77 924 won't turn over

First I'd like to say that my 77 924 started today, I backed it out of the driveway and parked it on the street. 4 minutes later I go to start it and it doesn't turn over.

I've done plenty of trouble shooting and it's not the Battery, when I try to turn it over I hear a tiny spark sound in the enginebay, but no noise from the starter.

Should I be looking for a loose wire. Does anyone have any suggestions, or something simple I might have missed?
Old 05-19-2012, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
check the terminals on the ignition coil. mine had come loose while driving and i sat on the side of the road for 2 hours before i figured it out. just had to clean and tighten a nut.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The coil has nothing to do with the car turning over.

If you've ruled out a bad battery, check the connections; especially grounds. Follow the positive cable and make sure it is connected properly to the starter. Once you get the car fired up, make sure it is charging as well (bad connections are a recipe for not charging or starting).

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So I go out to the car today after letting it sit for 24 hours.. And it was rough at first but it started and ran as usual after that. And started again...

I think a valid theory is that a ghost is living in the electrical system
Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
you may have an intermittent starter relay. I had a similar problem. You may also be arcing the battery to the hood. A common solution for that is to put a piece of cardboard over the battery to keep it from doing that. As for the relay I would get under there, pull the wires off and clean the terminals with a good wire brush and your rust remover of choice. Corrosion can get these things real bad and cause this very issue.

Regards
Dave
Old 05-20-2012, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
924 , starter , turn over , wiring