Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Steering Shaft U Joint

My steering shaft ujoint is wearing out. It is sloppy through the one end and hangs up when turning. So my question is I have found used ones, seems new ones are NLA or very expensive. Has anyone ever replaced just the ujoint. How hard is it and is that the way to go?

1987 944 Turbo.
1976 911S
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
Old 06-02-2012, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

iirc no one has found a solution to replacing just the u-joints. Find a good used one, luckily there are still a few around from the later cars.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Tcrate,

I think there is a solution to your problem. I was working on making a steering shaft a while ago but got distracted making other parts. I took my steering shaft off my car and took it apart. I was able to take the u-joints off the shaft and I was going to try to find some that matched and possibly manufacture the shaft. That way we could have some new steering shafts.

The u-joints are hard to get off the shaft, but doable. You can press them off the shaft.

I replaced my steering shaft with a good used one for cheap, until I can figure out how to make a new one. That would be my suggestion.

The steering shafts are different lengths depending on PS or not, and I think the year might make a difference, but I can't remember now.
Saved by God, because I could not.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Borgeson 014928 Borgeson Steering U-Joints

You have to have a shaft made or you can buy one and cut down to length.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
v2rocket,

Are you sure this is the u-joint that will fit the 944?

All you have to do Tcrate is buy 2 of these u-joints and install them on your old shaft. You can remove the old u-joints from the OEM shaft and install the new joints and be set.

To remove the old U-joints you first must disassemble the actual joint and then you can press it off the shaft. If you have a press, it's an easy job.

Last edited by GreenWater; 06-10-2012 at 10:31 AM..
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Those Borgeson u-joints will not fit a 944 shaft, you have to use a Borgeson shaft also and get it angled and keyed correctly the same as stock.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You would make a new shaft to accommodate those joints. The spline counts are correct though.

There is a user on the 944 V8 forum who manufactures and sells a bolt-in replacement shaft for 944s, hybrid or not, using those Borgeson joints.

Hopefully he won't mind me using his pictures, it might just get him some business!

Old 06-10-2012, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
That's a good looking steering shaft. Does he sell them? How much?
Old 06-10-2012, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have built many of these for my cars. The Borgeson joints are correctly splined as V2 says. You use Borgeson shafts, splined to fit the joints and custom made to the correct size, manual and power are different lengths. Also the u-joints have to be assembled correctly on the shaft the same orientation as stock, they are at different angles to each other. If you don't do this the shaft will bind - very bad.

Here is one I made. Top is a Borgeson sized and aligned as a manual 944 shaft. Middle is the stock 944 manual shaft, bottom is the 944 power shaft:

Old 06-10-2012, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Can the joints be presed off the shaft without damaging them ? If they can you could swap them with original joints from the RHD steering shafts , seems they are still available and reasonably priced . Buy Porsche 944 1982-91 U Joints and Shafts | Design 911
I would like to know if this is possible , mine also doesn't have much life left in it.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I had to disassemble the joint to press them off the shaft. I couldn't figure out a way to press them off without destroying them. The shaft will still be good, but the joints won't. You could press new joints on the old shaft easily.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Someone really needs to make a replaceable joint for these shafts. The shafts and splines or the "U" castings don't go bad, just the bearing and yoke faces. A machine shop can fit replacements in minutes if we only had them. They are not a difficult piece to CNC up and provide a permanent solution for years to come.

I can provide the piece that wears out if anyone is willing to give it a go. Need something like this:

Old 06-10-2012, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
9FF,

That is a good point. Maybe I should look into that. I have a u-joint that is taken apart too. When I have a chance I will see if I can come up with some way to fix the original.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
GreenWater , i think it's all on you now ,don't let us down......
Old 06-11-2012, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
9FF,

That is a good point. Maybe I should look into that. I have a u-joint that is taken apart too. When I have a chance I will see if I can come up with some way to fix the original.
It would be a great service to the 944 community as I'm sure 90% of steering shafts on our cars are worn by now and spares are nla.

You would need to manufacture the yoke (center "X" piece) from billet and find suitable sized sealed bearings for the 4 arms. The original piece is crimped in so a machine shop will need to cut spring clip grooves to make future replacement easier. Go for it, surprised no one has done this already, I'd be a buyer for sure
Old 06-11-2012, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I did a lot of research last night after reading this.(until my eyes couldn't take it anymore) This one isn't easy but I might be able to do it. One of the problems is making it cost effective. Cutting grooves in the joints for a clip would make the job not cost effective and it would be cheaper to buy a complete shaft with joints. The original ones are pressed in, and I think the replacements could be as well. They are very tight and are crimped, and the new ones could be pressed in and recrimped. I am in need of a good steering shaft too, so I will continue to do research on this.(So far, it looks pretty good.)
Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

9ff,
The joint you show in a few posts back was advertised on Ebay a week or two ago which prompted my original question. I sent the seller an email about how to replace and never got a response. Now the Ebay listing is gone. Anyway it does seem feasible if Greenwater comes up with something would be awesome. I did buy a used one on Fleabay just in case I wanted to replace now and have one to tinker with. Would donate to the cause if necessary.
1976 911S
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
Old 06-13-2012, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

There is another option available that I used to replace a 924 RHD shaft with a ~ $600 price tag in Oz, VW uni joints. However I`m not sure that the 944 uses the same size splines, perhaps someone could confirm?

The VW joints are the same diameter & number of splines on the clamped end as the Porsche unit. They come fitted on a different length VW shaft that was ~$65 new IIRC. Also recall seeing individual UJs listed on an aftermarket VW site, following a link from here or perhaps RL or 924board.

Same as these, they are pressed onto the splined shaft and the end pinched over to secure. Thought it looked like a simple swap over to my steering shaft but after pressing the joint off, the VW splined bore was slightly smaller @ 15mm. The easiest option was to bore out the shaft end of the joints to an interference fit 16mm ID, and press onto a new parallel 16 dia shaft made the correct length. I positively secured the joint & shaft by drilling through both, slightly countersinking, then pinned with solid 6mm and ends riveted over.

Has worked perfectly for the last 4 or 5 years now. Still no play at all.

World`s quickest 924 2L slushbox.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
One apex at a time

Garage
I looked exhaustively for replacement joints& bearing for a while. They look so simple to rebuild. Cut out the old joints then drill out the holes in the Us to remove the kneeling from the OE installation and if needed enlarge to size appropriate to the replacement joint. Install new joints and re knerl the U to secure.

Hell I could just "ding" the edge of the U where the joint presses in with my welder and a heat sink attached to it to prevent damage to the joint to secure the u joints in place I just need to find the replacement joints. If anyone had a supplier for them i would have a go at referbing the spare steering shaft I have l around.

Are there VW replacement / rebuild kits out there that could be adapted?

General Car Specs & Mods
Project Megasquirt 924s
Old 06-13-2012, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

This is the same as the late Super Beetle shaft I taxed the uni joints from. Unis are a straight fit on my 924. Splined shaft is not, and is smaller diameter. The shaft end of the VW unis will not directly fit over the Porsche shaft.

VWC-133-419-951 - COMPLETE U-JOINT STEERING SHAFT SUPER BEETLE 75-79

TBH I don`t think this work could be justified in the US with much better priced LHD shafts.

World`s quickest 924 2L slushbox.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: