Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
help, spindle parts upgrade 86t to 87t

Hi, so confusing, maybe someone can help.

My car is a 83 with the steel control arms, the spindles\hubs\brakes are from a 86 turbo. I was going to order a new suspension, and in order to do that I need to specify the mounting info on the spindle ( strut bolt spacing and strut width ). While looking at that I started looking at brakes, the Lindsey 87 big brake upgrade is hundreds cheaper than the 86. Ideally I would like to do one step at a time. The 87 spindle is stronger and I figured I will switch. Are the strut mounting holes and the width of the strut the same on a 86 turbo as a 87 turbo? If I can do just the suspension ( struts ) now thats great, but Im afraid I have to do the spindles now, that will mean I also have to do the brakes at the same time.

Part 2: If I do the spindles, will my control arms still work? Im already looking at upgrading the control arms and bushings. If I do it all at once, Im several thousands spent and its not in the budget.

Part 3: If I do the spindle swap, do any other parts need to change, tie rod ends?

Anyone have 87+ turbo spindles for sale?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

87 spindles will also require 87 hubs and rotors. The strut mounting holes are the same distance apart but they are angled differently, iirc about 4 degrees to allow for late offset arms. What this means is your camber adjustment will be limited unless you change the arms to late offset also.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yes if I go 87 spindles I will also go 87 hubs\rotors\brakes. So for the angle, is camber plates enough to correct ( track only ), the ground controls Im about to order are being ordered with the adjustable camber plates. I have camber plates on my 86 setup and I can add more camber for my current track settings. So I should be safe to order the struts and they will bolt in when I do the spindle upgrade is what it sounds like.

My plans of order of upgrades then will be
1) ground controls
2) front upgraded control arms and bushings
3) splindes\brakes

Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: