Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fair price for a cabrio?

Hello. I'm a very active member of at peachparts, the Mercedes wing of Pelicanparts, and am hear to seek advice on a purchase.

I'm thinking of purchasing a 944 cabrio and was looking at some input on pricing. I realize pricing is secondary to condition so I'll try to be detailed.

Its a 1990 5 speed. Same owner for 7 years, this is his 9th and final 944 as he's retiring and moving out to a rural setting with only rugged dirt roads.

80,000 miles. White with Blue interior.

Cosmetics are very nice. Nearly flawless original paint with only a few chips that were touched up. New top and cover. Interior is nice, but leather is dry with a few stitches loose (under 1 inch) on both seat bottoms. Its not noticeable unless you're looking for it. Dash is cracked and has a cloth cover. Center caps on wheels have lost their finish. No curb rash.

Mechanical is somewhat ambiguous. He does all the work himself and is including all of his Factory service manual books with the car. Supposedly the clutch was replaced right before he purchased it, and has only accumulated 2000 miles in his 7 years of ownership. The car came from a dealer with no service records. Other than the top he has only done small odds and ends.

He has never changed the time belt or the rollers. The car has a leaking AC compressor, and a small leak from the back of the valve cover. Brakes are new. Tires are very good. The car drives fantastically. Lot's of fun. The suspension feels very tight, as does the clutch and gear selection.

What sounds like a fair price? Plenty of cabrios listed for sale on this forum but not many recorded as sold.

My '85 500SL is the same color combo and these two would look really good parked next to eachother in the garage.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
80,000 miles on the original timing belt? Wtf?! Change it!
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 10-21-2012, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
80,000 miles on the original timing belt? Wtf?! Change it!
He never changed it during his ownership. I would hope it was changed once before. I was surprised that he wasn't too concerned about it considering how knowledgeable he seemed with these cars.

Last edited by TylerH860; 10-21-2012 at 08:50 PM..
Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Well the belt is going to be in and around 1K to replace, so take that off the price. If it has been sitting for that long chances are the car may need all new rubber lines so take that off the price. See if the roof leaks. 80K is what it is and its not that bad for these cars. If you can get some pics of the car post them here people will be more likely to give you prices if you post pics.

Regards
Dave
Old 10-21-2012, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
$6500 would be a fair price if it were really nice. Cosmetics cost a lot and cab specific parts are either ridiculously expensive or no longer available. You are going to have to do the timing belt and water pump ASAP no matter what he tells you. The chain tensioner pads should also be checked and they are probably about spent.

Jackson
90 S2 cab (sold)
83 380SL (sold)
Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Only if ya can steel it. I love em too but trust me a 944 sitting all that time with no milage accumulation is a ticking time bomb. Belts, brake lines, fuel lines, seals and anything made of rubber & plastic are in harms way. Wish you well but be prepaired !
1970 Honda CB350 mint!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
If somebody offered me anything lower than $8k for mine I would be insulted
Old 10-22-2012, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Has it been sitting for years or just not used much?

get a PPI if it passes with a clean bill of health worth about 8 - 10k in my opinion if cosmetically nice. You can often get decent 7-8k cabs on ebay but I would rather spend a bit more on a local car that you can PPI by someone you trust and touch and feel it before purchase. Not to mention no delivery cost or long trek to get it.

In Canada that is more like a 12k car but our market is higher.

Fun cars I love mine.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Don't forget this is a 16V motor & beside the TB-BSB -WP & rollers plus associated parts the (tensioner - chain & pads both lower & upper ) will have to be look at ASP.Specially the (plastic pads) that the chain rides on does get brittle with ages & mileage if it does break you will damage your head severly,when it goes it sometime damage the camshafts wich on a S2 are very very expensive. At 80K miles it's due for service.So this also should be taken into account when dealing for the car.
83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mueller944s2 View Post
If somebody offered me anything lower than $8k for mine I would be insulted
Isn't your car out of action with a broken crankshaft?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

So I bought it... For $6500.

I got it up on the lift and no surprises. Timing belt, rollers, and other parts are ordered.

The only question I have is with the pads on the guide/tensioner for the 16 valve. I've read that you can inspect them for cracks and replace if need be, others say they must be replaced, others suggest replacing the whole dang thing. Not going to spend $400 for the whole tensioner unless i have to.

I cannot find just the pads for sale on this website or anywhere. Suggestions?

The car was driven regularly, just not alot. 2,000 miles in 7 years... He spent money on it. I'm sure the brakes and the top weren't cheap.

Got the car on the lift and starting the tear down. Don't see any surprises. AC compressor looks to be leaking out the front, so its totally shot.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

you are looking at a full belt service, might as well throw in a new water pump while you are doing the belts, thats going to run you around $1700. with the AC not working, you might need a compressor, I would figure in another grand at least. keeping in mind that it is a used car, and fairly old, its not going to be perfect. I am thinking somewhere between $6-7K. service records are very important on this car, because they are not cheap to work on, and there are not a lot of shops who work on these cars.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Not sure where you all are getting these repair prices from. Bought the belt and all the rollers/tensioners recommended for about $400. I'll look at the water pump and see if it needs to be replaced once I'm in there tomorrow. Reman runs $95, new is $300. Don't know if I want to risk a reman there. The whole tensioner itself costs $400, and I can't find a source for just the pads. Hoping somebody knows, as I'll need to order it pretty fast.

The job itself looks pretty straightforward but I'll be on here if there's any snags.

AC compressor is shot, leaking dye from the front. Local source for a Reman on those is $195.00.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerH860 View Post
...AC compressor is shot, leaking dye from the front. Local source for a Reman on those is $195.00.
This is something that I would not buy reman. I have had bad experiences with 2 of them so far - had to get a new one to fix it properly.

The pads are available somewhere, I would check Paragon or your dealer.

Good luck with the project!
I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details
Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Very good news from inside the engine.

The cover is pulled and the pads look to have no wear. Not even the slightest groove. Not discolored like I see in most photos when you take the old ones out. No cracks at all. Timing belt is fresh, like way fresh looking. This all must have been replaced not long ago. Still doing the belt service, but I don't see why I would do the pad.

The Reman compressor comes with a warranty. If it craps out I'll swallow the price of a new one.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I'd say do that and drive on, but my head gets cold in the winter time in a cab!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
1988 944 2.5L 8-v NA 301k

Garage
Porsche Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerH860 View Post
So I bought it... For $6500.

I got it up on the lift and no surprises. Timing belt, rollers, and other parts are ordered.
Good on ya mate!
Thanks for posting the final price.. I take it as a personal mission to detail final sale proces for our beloved cars thus revealing true market value for buyers and sellers.

Post pix of your upgrades when possible..
Cheers
Paid just $1,700 running & inspected.
Big RUSH Fan! Lic Plate = LIFESON
Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrboulder View Post
Isn't your car out of action with a broken crankshaft?
I like to say it's currently mechanically challenged.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
[QUOTE=TylerH860;7046127] I can't find a source for just the pads. Hoping somebody knows, as I'll need to order it pretty fast.

At 80k miles like I mention previously the pads should be look at ,usually chain & tensioner don't have to be change at that mileage.Source for your pads is Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories - Koni, Pagid, K&N, Bilstein, Racers Edge, Weltmeister, Porsche suspension, porsche brakes, 911 parts, 944 parts, 968 parts, 914 parts, 930 parts, boxster parts, cayman parts, 968, cayenne they sell either the top pad or both upper & lower as a kit.Look under (engine Mechanical).Btw be very careful when reinstalling your valve cover do not over torque the (Cheese-H Screws )since they do break easily & are very expensive,not 100% sure but I believe the specific max torque on them is 7 to 10 lb,somebody correct me if I'm wrong.Also usually when removing the valve cover on a 16 V ( thrust washers & pressure rings should be replace with new one.

83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 10-24-2012, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: