Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to gluestick
Thumbs down floppy mirrors

The rear view mirror on the driver side no longer has any grip at the privot point where you can fold it in to save space. It is loose, and when im driving the wind blows it back in towards the window. This must have happened just recently because i commonly fold it up to save space. Does anybody how it attaches or what the problem is? Thanks!

Old 06-12-2002, 11:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I always considered the fact that the mirror would rotate with a significant load a fail-safe feature. I'm not sure it was intended as a 'space-saving' one. Anyway, you've wore it out. There is a spring holding it down (I think this is how it works) and has to be overcome through rotation. Most of these (typical auto) raise slightly as they're rotated. I suspect a flacid spring or one that is broken. I don't know whether it is replaceable but knowing how everything else is -- I'd guess not.
Fuchs
Old 06-13-2002, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Last summer I pulled the mirror apart using the directions in the Haynes manual. Haynes actually does a good job explaining this one. I also used the diagram in Pelican Parts' parts diagrams.

It was not difficult except for removing the connector plug. It has about 6 wires attached to it. If you do not do it right you will ruin the metal tips on the wires that connect to the plastic plug. Use tweezers, hemostats, and a thin metal punch and do it carefully.

Also, pry the mirror off the mounting/backing carefully or it will break.

There is a threaded brass tube that the mirror mount screws to. Eventually this mount works its way unscrewed and loosens up. I think this is your problem.
Old 06-13-2002, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bob's944
Lightbulb

This happened to my passenger side mirror also. I've never got a complete answer on how to fix it and how it all works, so I've left mine alone until I get some information i can be confident on. I don't want to get it apart and not be able to get it back together correctly. When mine failed, it looked like some kinda hydraulic fluid was leaking out. The Hayne's manual doesn't mention this part of the mirror at all.

Until then, I took some the flat, molded plastic bag ties, like you get with law bags... cut some down abit, and worked them into the loose space along the post that the mirror rotates on. With the mirror lifted, you can work some into the gap all the way around, then press the mirror down snuggly and trim the excess plastic bag ties sticking out the bottom with an exacto knife. Mine has to be repositioned only occasionally now, usually from someone slamming the passenger door shut, but it works fine until the actual solution is discovered.
Old 06-13-2002, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Bag ties??? Not as bad as the two sheetmetal screws the P/O used to hold the drivers mirror onto the mounting base.

Had to do the major dissassembly thing and use the 12 point 12 mm flywheel bit to rethread the hollow bolt. Nice to know there is another use for a $20 tool. Also had to dig out the remains of the two broken off sheetmetal screws since they stuck through the gaps in the spring and would not let it compress as needed.

You can also use a large flat blade screw driver if the hollow bolt is still engaged. Jam it into the 12 points pushing the sleeved wires aside and twist.

Think I'm going to polish out the mirrors and clear coat them.

I've also figured out how to put 86 mirrors on an 83 -- wiring changes.

There's no hydraulic fluid in the mirrors. Older ones use pull-pull cables and the 85.5 or newer use two motors with a gear tooth ball and socket link. It's this 50 cent link that usually breaks just below the 3/32 inch diameter ball that requires you to buy a $200 mirror transmission and $30 electrical pin removal tool.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-13-2002, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bob's944
Porsche Crest

SoCal Driver- You're talking about an entirely different problem, the part of the mirror that is broken is the breakaway mechanism, not the mirror adjustment motors, i guess that's not that clear in my post. The mirror works just fine. It just will no longer stay in a fixed spot on the post that it actually rests on, the wind and closing of the door causes the mirror to rotate towards the door. There was definately some kind of liquid leaking out of mine after it stopped pivoting properly. The small flat plastic bag tie pieces act as shims to fill in the gap that the mirror housing rotates around, basically jamming it onto the post without causing any additional harm... so until I see a fix for this that makes sense and I think that I can get completed, I'll leave the lil shims I made in there... nobody can see them cause I used an exacto knife to trim the excess and the mirror will still break away if it gets hit.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Ah, Bob... I was talking about the major pivot point between the upper part, mirror and transmission, and the base that mounts to the door. In order to substantiate my statement that there is NO
HYDRAULIC FLUID in the mirrors I had to explain what WAS in the mirrors.

Personally I would never use garbage bag ties other than as means to get a car home.

With an allen wrench, 5mm I think, and a large flat blade screw driver you could fix your problem in less than ten minutes. About the amount of time you took to find the garbage bag ties and the X-Acto knife.

Just don't scratch the paint on the door.

Oh yes, you will have to remove all those trimed garbage bag ties first.

Green arrow points at hollow retaining bolt. Between the flaired head of this bolt is a thick rubber washer and a substantial compression spring. The 12 point 12 mm flywheel bit will fit this -- with out the wires.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror-1.jpg (50.1 KB, 170 views)
Old 06-13-2002, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gluestick
Yeah, im having the same problem as Bob's944. I will relay this information to my father's friend who is a mechanic. I dont quite trust myself with disasembling parts of my car (yet). Thanks for the pic SoCal Driver. I live right near Costa Mesa in Irvine.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Access to this "retainer" is from the bottom of the mounting bracket against the door. As I said before I was quite successful in using a large flat blade screw driver to wedge into the 12 points and tighten the loose one I had while on the car. You don't have to remove any wires. But you do have to be careful not to pinch them with the screw driver while tightening the bolt.

Old 06-13-2002, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: