Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Squirrelly steering

Hay everyone. Got myself stumped, if y'all have any suggestions. What the dealio is the car wants to dart around on every crack in the road. So far; replaced struts (sacks). Control arm bushings. Bearings. Tie rod ends no play. Ball joints, no play and I've had several motor-head friends help check them as that was my first suspect. I did swap out the sway bar and added the rear from my spare 944 n/a as it had a bigger front. And swapped them back, bushing were still tight. Swapped one of the top strut mount that i was questioning, the other looked great. It has been aligned by an alignment only shop who did these cars when they were new, I trust him. Tires aren't perfect but this is my third 944 an have had much worse tread. But haven't ruled it out. It has a rebuilt steering rack a few years back due to a leak. Pump is original, but have a spare. To sum it all up, it doesn't matter what tire is on the crack in the road it just darts around on um.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
yarfk

Garage
Has the car been lowered?
You may be experiencing bump steer.
10 Vibe 2.4 AWD (Wife's)
Retired My week consist of Saturdays and Sundays
Old 11-09-2012, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
It was, then back to factory springs. No change. And was aligned both times
Old 11-09-2012, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
if you mean on the freeway in ruts and stuff, it drives me crazy. ive assumed thats just how it is. ruts definitely pull it more than the average car
Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
No, lower speeds(10-45) is like a video game with a wacked out controller, nothing that takes me out of the lane but it twitches with any inprofection in the road
Old 11-09-2012, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
tie rod or wheel bearing that needs tightening perhaps?
get your front wheels in the air. grab at 12 and 6 and see if it has any play. grab at 3 and 9 and test for play. if its got play all over, you need to tighten your wheel bearing. if its just at 3 and 9, its likely a tie rod.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
It's like my camber( I think that's vertical) is wablely cause any groove will take the car with it, yet I can't find anything loose or worn
Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Did the bearings, and the t-rods have abselutely no play. Been testing those for weeks along with ball joints. Anyone had issues with the rack not holding dampening pressure?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
PDX-944, ya one of my first culprits, no luck. It's all tight there
Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Think I might have to break out the wheels/tires from back in 09' and do a test but I think I'm chasin a ghost
Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
if youre parked or moving very slowly, do you hear any noises at all when jerking the wheel back and forth, or cranking it all the way to one side?
i guess the other route to go is what wheels and tires are on there? size? width?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
255-40ZR17 rear, 225-45ZR17 front, . I believe they're off a Boxter? Part #s match. The only click I feel or hear is the steering shaft knuckle, about a .32 inch but it always had that(10 years) only audible when its off in the garage. No noticeable power steering sound at the end. That could be a sign. And no break at the start of the steering wheel turn??? Steering pressure? I'm not sure how to test this. Been pretty good at diag. of the the engine but I'm a fool with this picky suspension.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

When I ran that size of a front and rear tire my car was all over the place too. Even when I sold the rims and tires (to Butters) he complained about how bad the steering was. I'm betting its those big a$$ tires. Try running some stock rims/tires and see how it feels.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I was blessed with the factory wheels and tires as a bonus with the car but that was 10 years ago and I've been through many sets. I love the feel , (loved) of the bigger back than in my past 944's. it still has all its grip in turns and I can drift It slightly when showing out...with a perfect response to straight on throttling out. Wasnt gonna swap a known good, but I might be back to the K.I.S.S. ... Firm believer of that.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I'll do the factory meat this wknd for the sake of 'chicks' and my own curiosity. But without the turbo twist it's gonna look like $&@t....LOL. Seems redundant though. Just sayin.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
255-40ZR17 rear, 225-45ZR17 front, . I believe they're off a Boxter? Part #s match. The only click I feel or hear is the steering shaft knuckle, about a .32 inch but it always had that(10 years) only audible when its off in the garage. No noticeable power steering sound at the end. That could be a sign. And no break at the start of the steering wheel turn??? Steering pressure? I'm not sure how to test this. Been pretty good at diag. of the the engine but I'm a fool with this picky suspension.
How is your castor? There is a factory tech bulletin to change the castor setting when going to 17" wheels.

Also, 0.32" play in the steering shaft is a lot.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I have the same problem. My front right is a tiny bit loose, but you really have to shake the s**t out of it to notice. Leave the wheel and tire on and manhandle that SOB. You've got to simulate thousands of pounds of force. Don't forget to jack it up.

Rick
Old 11-10-2012, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
It's yer tires - mine does it a bit too. 36 pounds front and rear?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9FF View Post
How is your castor? There is a factory tech bulletin to change the castor setting when going to 17" wheels.

Also, 0.32" play in the steering shaft is a lot.

You need the updated castor blocks to run 17s as well.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: