Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Car stereo suggestions 85 944

I just got an 85.5 944 in very good shape, and the only thing it needs to have upgraded is the car stereo system.

I already have the Infinity Basslink self powered 10" subwoofer that I will mount somewhere in the rear of the car for that bass kick, and I am going to order 2 sets of Infinity Kappa 462.9 4x6 speakers for the doors and the rear seats because of thier stellar mid and high range.

I really would like to mount an Alpine head unit in the dash that can power all of this, but I can't get crazy with price.

Do any of you have suggestions for a really good head unit/receiver from Alpine or other brands ? Thanks
Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have the alpine iDA-X303 I like it the car came with it. The iPod connection is a great bonus. Its an older model by them but works great and I use it every time I am in the car. Im curious as to weather or not it will work with the iPhone 5 but that's just me. I would say the alpine products are worth buying and I would recommend them.

Regards
Dave
Old 11-11-2012, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Actually, now I am looking at the Pioneer DEH7400HD head unit because it has HD radio, preamp outputs, data system, and 112 color 3 line light display, along with a 5 band EQ. It appears to be pretty good, and for a really good price online.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I got a Pioneer DEH-P700BT head unit from Sonic Electronix a few years ago. I am quite pleased with it. Previous units were all Blaupunkts, a Houston and then I forget what the other was. Anyway, it was like I emerged from the stone age.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

the best thing you can do for the sound in your car is to improve the acoustics of the cabin. lining any surface you can with dynamat extreme (the cheaper substitutes aren't quite as good, but better than nothing), especially ones behind the speakers, will go a long way toward optimizing the sound of whatever you use.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Flash968, I totally agree on the dynamat extreme. Right now, i'm going to do the stereo system just to get rid of the current Pioneer cassette deck in the car from 1995. I also need to do hood and hatch struts, and a few other incidentals.

I think after the first of the year when the car is in deep hibernation (still driving it too much now), the dynamat might be a project.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I am building a system in my 85.5 944 and already have the Infinity Kappa 4629 4x6 door speakers mounted, and am currently using an older set of Pioneer 6905 6x9 speakers mounted in some fitted aftermarket 6x9 boxes along the back by the tail lights. I currently have an older Pioneer DEH 205 that doesn't sound very good with the old pair of speakers in the back. I have an Infinity Basslink self powered enclosed 200W 10" sub woofer that I haven't hooked up yet.

My question is; I want to change out the rear seat 4" speakers that I am not currently using and replace with Infinity Primus PR6500 6.5" speakers (I have heard that that opening can handle a 6.5" speaker) , get rid of the 6x9 speakers and boxes, and hook up the Basslink sub. I am concerned on the mounting depth of these new 6.5" speakers in the stock placement under the side panel plastic, will they fit and does anyone else run this speaker combo ?

I posted this in another post by a different OP by accident

My next purchase will be the new Pioneer DEH 80PRS CD/radio head unit after Christmas. and I'm hoping that will really make a huge difference over the old technology I am using now.

BTW, the new Infinity Primus speakers are component units and can have the round tweeter mounted separately from the 6.5 woofer, where would be a good spot up high in the cabin to mount these ?
Old 12-20-2014, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i've put quite a few sets of 6.5" speakers in the rear of 968s. i think the space is the same, though the panels themselves may differ a bit. i also wrote up a DIY for the modification to that area to essentially enclose it, making whatever you put in there a whole lot better.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Did you do the firewall, and under the seats with Dynamat xtreme, or just the doors, and around the rear fender wells. I saw the dynapad for sale, but it was only half as effective as the xtreme for about the same price without the adhesive ?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

did not do the firewall. didn't want to pull everything apart. did every exposed area of sheet metal in the car though.

as for the dynapad, i have that on top of the dynamat extreme in the rear. it takes care of the lower frequencies that the dynamat can't address.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I just ordered the 72 sq. ft. mega pac of dynamat, and the rear 6.5" infinity Primus PR6500, to replace the old 4x6 speakers. I hope to have the car insulated and wired for my Infinity Basslink sub. I'll see how it sounds with the current old Pioneer head unit before I spend the big bucks for a new Pioneer audiophile unit.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The pioneer 80prs is the best headunit you can get for SQ that isn't $1200 right now .
Old 12-24-2014, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, you guys are in a league all your own. Years ago I was an audiophile til age and jet engines caught up with my ears. I would have considered a car like mine (83 NA) a poor choice to turn into a listening room on wheels. If on the other hand if one is after de laminating the hatch that's a different thing. I settled for a Blaupunkt Toronto and Blaupunkt replacement speakers, then I'm just an old rocker driving a sportscar.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arominus View Post
The pioneer 80prs is the best headunit you can get for SQ that isn't $1200 right now .
I know, I've done a lot of research on what I wanted, and really like the idea of having the multicolor display, the 5Volt outputs, the larger capacitors, the 3 way crossover, remote control, and all the phone/music options along with H/D radio.

I've had 3 other Pioneer head units and have always been pleased, but never had an audiophile unit like the DEH 80PRS, as mentioned above, after Christmas, I plan on getting one.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
I'm in the process of installing a massive old school sq system in my 924s......here's the head/eq......i have another dash piece which the eq will be molded flush in

Last edited by bell; 12-27-2014 at 11:57 AM..
Old 12-26-2014, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

That's a neat setup, what alpine deck and EQ is that. I looked strongly at the Alpine CDE HD14BT head unit but decided on the pioneer deh80prs instead. It has the 16 band EQ built in.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
It's a 9801 w/3321 eq......all old school...
also running the following...
jblgtx47 crossover
ppi pc4400.2 on tweets and 4"
ppi pc4400.2 on 4 6.5"s
ppi pc2600.2 on 2 12" usd subs

The tweets/4"/6.5s ate all going in the front doors (custom panels) the 12s are currently in a spare tire well enclosure....
to say it rocks is an understatement.....also is very stealthy. ....meaning you really have to look to see what's going on in the car lol

Right now i just have the one tweet /6.5 in each front door as I'm still building the panel to accommodate the 2 6.5s
Old 12-27-2014, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

get a 3" race exhaust and call it a day.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 12-27-2014, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Really?
I spent 20 years in pro audio......
you obviously never heard a serious audio system.....
nice opinion......
Old 12-27-2014, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Anyone have any feedback on this headunit Kenwood Excelon KDC-X798. I have no audio experience and want a unit that has a HD receiver built in. I won't be using any amps just the head unit, 4x6 front speakers and 6.5in rears. I want to get the most bang for my buck. The Blaupunkt unit that is in there now is broken and shuts off every 10 min.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: