Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
White and Nerdy

Garage
Pinched Brake Line.

Hey, while working on my project '86 944, I found my right rear brake line to the caliper has been crimped shut. Looks like it was done with a tool, not an accident.

I'm assuming, someone at some point in time, wanted to cut flow to the caliper. When I replace the brake line, I'm concerned about finding a future problem. If I get the pelican caliper rebuild kit, and rebuild both rear calipers, would that be the only potential problem point?

I believe there is only a valve front/rear, not right/left, so the potential problem someone tried to hide in the car's past would be at the caliper?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I assume you mean the flex line has been pinched? I would suggest taking off the calipers and cleaning them thoroughly. Use compressed air (set to around 2 bars/30 psi) to check the operation (keep fingers clear!!!). I say this because maybe that one caliper kept seizing up and pinching the line was a quick and dirty fix so you woudn't notice it on a test drive.
A rebuild kit is a good idea, minimal corrosion on the pistons can be cleaned off with wet and dry 800-1000 gritt.
While you are at it, maybe clean and regrease the front calipers too.

I clean and regrease my calipers every year after winter to keep them up a bit.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Its the solid line, I'll post a pic tomorrow when I have daylight. It took a lot of force to do it I'm sure.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervuren View Post
Its the solid line, I'll post a pic tomorrow when I have daylight. It took a lot of force to do it I'm sure.
Vise Grips can do it with no problem. Caliper was probably leaking, so the PO wanted to cover up the issue...
Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Anyway, the side with the pinched line has minor corrosion on the piston, seals feel good, dust cover doesn't. The bore is clean once you get past the seal, but not on the outside of the seal, is this important? The lighting for a shot of the bore is difficult.

Last edited by Tervuren; 11-25-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstrosekNic View Post
Vise Grips can do it with no problem. Caliper was probably leaking, so the PO wanted to cover up the issue...
I have no idea how long it would take for the liner to harden after being broken like that. If it only took a few years, then I could believe a shop that used to work on the car did it to get the car out the door for the manager's "End of the Month rush to get cars out bill customers for his monthly $$$ total". Shop burned me twice that way, had to take the car right back, second time, I bought tools, and have been working on fixing it myself since. I asked them while the engine was out to redo the vacuum lines, easy to do when you're connecting it all together with a new engine...well....no go on that one, ended up with old cracked lines. :\

The past owner was clueless, car ran without oil - until it seized. Prior to that, a short term owner that wasn't much better to the car than that, prior to that, a Porsche Tech that bought the car from the prior owner who had hydro locked it. That is as far back in the car's history as I know. I doubt a Porsche tech would do that to his own car of several years, and I doubt the last two owners would even know to do such a thing. It either happened in the shop it ended up in when the second engine blew several years ago, or it happened a long long time ago. Definitely not accidental, very clean thorough job, whoever did it.

Hindsight says I never should of bought this car, but I'm in deep enough there isn't any turning back. I have learned a lot about the 944 from having had to take almost everything apart to make sure its good. A huge proportion hasn't been. From a financial standpoint, really bad idea, but I consider what I've learned will make my life easier down the road when a maintenance item comes up, having done it all before. I'll also have all the tools I need already.

Last edited by Tervuren; 11-25-2012 at 11:50 AM..
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

AFM #725

Garage
Poor car... At least you have the right spirit
Old 11-25-2012, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Incorrigible

Garage
It is an old offroader's trick to solve a leaking brake caliper (or other catastrophic damage) by cutting the brake line, and folding it over on itself a couple times with a vice grips to hold fluid in the system to limp back out of the middle of nowhere. I have actually done that with one of my VW Baja bugs.

But that....I don't know about that.

Jeff

'88 924S, '65 912/911, '86 951, '79 924, '85 944 N/A, automatic - all gone.
"It makes me sad. Our cars were meant to be driven, not polished" - Ferry Porsche while surveying a concours field.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: