Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

grinding noise. Any ideas?

I have a high pitch grinding noise on my 944 automatic that developed a few months ago. It comes from the rear of the car but I'm not sure where. The symptoms are:
Noise occurs during low acceleration or deceleration above 35-40 mph
No noise under strong acceleration in particular up hill
Noise happens in Drive and 2nd gear, no noise at all in Neutral
Noise is metallic, high frequency and at times quite loud
I drove about 1,500 miles with that noise and it doesn't deteriorate further (but is very annoying)
Otherwise the transmission shifts very well-no problems, but I know that I have been running for a few days with the ATF below minimum.
Any ideas ? could it be the CV joints?
Old 06-20-2002, 11:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

ok let me see if this helps,
you sure you have oil in your transmission/ diferential?have you changed it recently?
you need to remove the metal plug in the transmission, the one near the driver side (the upper one), CV joint get your finger in ,and if gets wet you may be ok, since you are there changing the oil, another thing can be the rubber clutch in the transmission, (yes the auto have cluth too),but mostly you feel a thumping noise, and another thing maybe your CV joints are dry, so take a look and dont drive the car anymore untill you fix it, or if its going to cost you much more than fixing it now
hope this helps and let me know how everything goes.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

When was the last time you had the fluid and filter in your transmission, as well as the fluid in your torque converter changed?

AFJuvat
Old 06-21-2002, 09:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My transmission was serviced not so long ago, about 8,000 miles. I will try tomorrow to unscrew this plug on the differential (once I find the 17 mm allen) to see if I have oil in there, because the differential was never serviced since I have the car (12,000 miles). The instructions from Porsche to service this differential are really not very clear....
Old 06-22-2002, 12:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have now added the specified SAE 90 in the differential (I had actually nearly no oil when I checked) but the noise is exactly the same. What I think now is if I had damage something because of no oil, then the noise should at least be different once I refill the oil.
Is it possible for the CV joint to make noise only under acceleration?
The noise ONLY appears in drive AND under acceleration, never in neutral + acceleration and never in free wheeling (Drive + no acceleration)
Old 06-23-2002, 06:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

New Symptom

Another symptom I just found:

When I raise the 2 rear wheels (car on jacks), start the engine and shift on drive only the rear left wheel rotates (??) and the noise is definitely here (gets higher with RPM)
When I shift to REAR then I have no noise at any RPM, everything is fine.
I think I have to eliminate the CV joint, but I am really not sure between the Automatic transmission and the transaxle?
Old 06-24-2002, 04:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

well,you maybe have a bad wheel bearing, or something broken inside the transmission, did you have any metal flakes when you changed the oil?, if so, you might have a busted sincro, no oil or low oil in any part that moves at such a high rpm its a sure deathi
bed for the part.
It is very difficult to explain such a problem with out any visual aid.So your best bet right now would probably be take it to a good mechanic.Listen up and see where you can take it from there.

ninefifty1
Old 06-24-2002, 06:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: