Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to thekidd
Fan wont turn off

I went to work last night, first real trip after my clutch job, and about an hour after I got there, I heard my drivers side fan still running? Has never done this before. What should I look for or test out? The thermo switch is about 2 years old. I do need some more coolant in the reservoir- had a slow leak at the drain plug. I will also read what Clarksgarage has to say about it. But any thoughts, or past repairs what people did with the same problem would help. Thanks guys.
85.5 944 red- Pinta (past)
87 924S red- Nina (past)
Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
NY944Turbo

Garage
Fan relay or fan switch
Old 12-19-2012, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Relay also. Just changed mine.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
+1 on thermo switch, my nephews did that and that was fix.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Really? Think its the thermo switch? Could be but I think I replaced it 2 years ago, with not a whole bunch of miles (Head gasket job and clutch job between then and now) At work (Overtime) so cant work on her for a little while. I read clarks again, but is there a way to test the thermo switch and the fan relay?
Another note on the fans....my passenger side has never worked, even after I put the new thermo switch in 2 years ago.
Thanks.
87 924S red- Nina (past)
Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
If the fan will not shut off while sitting (not running), unplug the fan relay. Then plug it back in immediately and it should stay off. This points to the relay in my experiences with my 968. The passenger side fan didn't work on mine either until I replaced the relay. But you should bench test the fans separately with a 12 volt source to make sure both fans work. Process of elimination.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Toofah King Bad

Garage
Relay.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 12-20-2012, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Motor Head

There's no way of knowing without testing, it could be either the relay or the temp switch. The funny part? You have the clarks-garage main page link in your sig thekidd!!! For testing procedures look here Cooling Fan Operation and Troubleshooting
Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yeah i know i have clarks page in my signature, but i must of been doing something wrong because i wasnt getting any reading on my digi meter. Im supposed to test relay in position 1? The fan relay, or position 3- the ac fan relay? I tested the #1 position relay- part# 944-615-227-00 DME relay! And another DME relay in the correct position #2. Anybody ever hear of that? DME relays in position 1&2?

Any way, i touched the thermo switch wires and it went off. As soon as i let go, the fan went back on. Tried moving them untill the fan stoped alltogether, but didnt work. Gotta take a look tomorow at the wiring down there. Might as well take the fan out, and put in my new radiator mounting bushings that ive had for almost a year. Did notice that some of the wiring cover going to the fans have been frayed by making some contact with the fan. dont know how long thats been going on. Hopefully its an easy fix with the wires.
87 924S red- Nina (past)
Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: