Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Air in the radiator

Looking for some advice what might be causing air to pressurize into my cooling system. The engine was just rebuilt and less then 400 miles the problem began. The air stops the coolant from flowing and it takes opening the reservoir cap to release the pressure.

I have one possible diagnosis that the head gasket need to be re-torqued, and I just want to be sure I'm not overlooking something simpler before chewing out the dealership for a crappy mechanic.

Euro Spec 944T, 1985.5

Old 01-05-2013, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
Have you tried bleeding air out of the cooling system? These cars are a pain in the butt to get all the air out of, especially when torn down.. The heater core is one of the hardest areas to bleed in particular.

If you are indeed pressurizing the cooling system I would be inclined to think head gasket also. You can verify this by checking the cooling system with a combustion gas test, leak down test may help also but it's possible it's only happening on a warm engine.

Did they use a stock head gasket or MLS? MLS should be retorqued, the stock gasket does not.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Get an Airlift by Uview, never have an airbound problem again.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
84 944

Does your car have an air bleeder on the thermostat housing? My 84 does which I realized after the fact of bleeding the air out the old fashioned way.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the advice. I will look to see if there is a air bleeder valve then work m way from there.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
"Looking for some advice what might be causing air to pressurize into my cooling system."

You didn't say your engine is overheating? How did you decide coolant is not flowing?

It's normal for the cooling system to pressurize when at normal operating temperature. The pressure is determined by the pressure rating of your reservoir cap. That said, it should not prevent the coolant from flowing.

As mentioned try the the bleeder screw first.

Clifton
Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Patrick

Garage
Chiefs, Just a thought... When I had air in the system after replacing water pump, belts, etc., I simply put the front end on ramps and ran her until operating temp while carefully cracking open the bleeder screw. A few burps and now her temp is rock stable.

Patrick
Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Location: In a dumpster behind Albertson's in Los Angeles County
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 89-944NA
Bleeder screw is located on the back of the neck on top of the head, the thermostat is located in the water pump, and has no bleeding capability.

I highly recommend that anyone who has to remove their head for whatever reason, invest in a Lindsey "Steam Vent Kit". This taps into the chamber at the back of the head that is almost impossible to vent.

Then to bleed the system, you just crack the bleeder screw, turn on the heater to full on, add the coolant, close the bleeder and start the car, warm it up...the cooling system will now self-bleed. Top off coolant as necessary and your done. No lifting the front of the car, no muss no fuss
Semper Fi
Old 01-06-2013, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I pull the cap off the expansion tank, open the bleeder valve, and blow through the tank until I get fluid. Then run it for a bit and bleed. Works great for me.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Location: In a dumpster behind Albertson's in Los Angeles County
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 89-944NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mueller944s2 View Post
I pull the cap off the expansion tank, open the bleeder valve, and blow through the tank until I get fluid. Then run it for a bit and bleed. Works great for me.
eeewwwww...you blow the tank!!!???!!!
Semper Fi
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

i wouldn't put my mouth on the cap. eww :P

i blow into the overflow hose though.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Wtf dude
Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
ha I don't actually put my mouth on the reservoir, that's what the papertowels are for.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
A cooling system pressure tester works well for bleeding. Just don't pump it up to more than 10 psi.

Clifton
Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
It Worked!!!
I parked on the upward slope of my drive and bleed out the air while the engine was running and the heat on full blast. It took quite a bit before the all the air was bleed out. Her temperature was dead on perfect all day.
I almost forgot how much fun that car really is. Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
With the engine facing upwards? Nice
Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The coolant in the tank needs to be above the level of the bleeder valve, that simple or it needs some pressure in the tank to push the coolant out.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: