Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
lightened pressure plate?

Anybody ever tried this? Or know if somebody makes it for the 944S2? My dad has two old 911s, one with a lightweight pressure plate and one stock. The modified one revs VERY fast, MUCH faster than the 3.2. I may have to get to the clutch soon anyway and was contemplating modifications

Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you sure they didn't mean a lightened flywheel? pressure plates are pretty tough to lighten. there isn't a whole lot there to remove without seriously compromising its integrity.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
you sure they didn't mean a lightened flywheel? pressure plates are pretty tough to lighten. there isn't a whole lot there to remove without seriously compromising its integrity.
nope definitely the pressure plate
Old 01-09-2013, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
it's an aluminum plate for the 915 transmission
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

i'm willing to bet the upper ring cage is aluminum, but the rest is steel. i can't imagine aluminum springs, friction surface, or lower clamping ring. i've never even heard of such a thing. it just wouldn't hold up. the 968/964 plate is built that way. aluminum cage, but everything else is steel. there just isn't more than a few grams to be taken out of that. the weight to be cut is in the flywheel.

i presumed that the 944 plate was the same way. it seems to be a pretty normal porsche thing. every one available on this site looks to be that way.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Light weight pressure plate - Aluminum Pressure Plate for 915

like this. Made a huge different in the 911
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

cast aluminum. i've seen those before, but never for porsche. interesting. not much lighter though. i think it's less than a pound difference. even that thread indicates that it's about the same weight.

i think you'd be a lot better off with a light flywheel.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash968 View Post
cast aluminum. i've seen those before, but never for porsche. interesting. not much lighter though. i think it's less than a pound difference. even that thread indicates that it's about the same weight.

i think you'd be a lot better off with a light flywheel.
It sure made a difference with ours though! I thought about the flywheel option but was told that it would be a bad idea for a street car. Any thoughts?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

i'm curious to know how much the weight difference really is. you can actually calculate the difference in rotating mass, and what it will do to acceleration.

as for whether or not it's a good idea, it depends on the flywheel and how it is made. i've run them for decades in street cars. there is always a trade-off though, varying in serverity, depending on how much lighter it is, how stiff it is, yada yada. sometimes you get noise. sometimes it's harder to launch. it's always better on running acceleration and gear matching.

as a rule of thumb, you can usually lose 20% of the weight of the flywheel/clutch assembly and still maintain street civility. after that, it depends on the driver.

as an example of one that is a bad idea, i just removed an aluminum one from my blue car. i found a couple of fairly serious design flaws that resulted in the flywheel coming apart, as well as losing torque on the bolts. i saw this problem on a number of cars using the same flywheel. i had to make a few modifications to correct that.

not all aluminum flywheels are like that though. some of them are very well made. you have to look around and look at the engineering behind it. but don't assume something is good because somebody says "i haven't had any problems". all that means is that they have not yet pushed the engineering limits. the one i just removed had not had any problems....... until it did.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Location: In a dumpster behind Albertson's in Los Angeles County
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 89-944NA
That's a Porsche Motorsports (i.e. racing) PP for the 915....crazy expensive!!!!

Semper Fi
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: