Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
another round please

Drive it or ship it--help me decide

If everything works out, I'm about to join the 944 world. The car is on the souther west coast and I'm in Indiana. What to do, drive it back or ship it? Long drive but I've got time. Car would make it, its that good. Thoughts?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Sounds like both would work. If you have the time and the 944 can handle it, why not take a road trip?
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
There are a few things to consider here,

- Will your gas and lodging costs be cheaper than shipping the car. My 944 gets on average 21-27 MPG depending on how I drive. If you park it in 5th on the highway and do 60MPH you will get 26MPG no problem.

- When was the car last serviced. As im sure you have looked into these cars need their belts and water pump tended to every 30K ish. If the car is long over due for service you may want to consider shipping it, doing the work and then driving it hard.

- What is your contingency plan for a break down. Remember a tow from some random point to either your place, or the nearest shop (plus repairs at that shop) could potentially be far more expensive than any option. Are you willing to take that risk?

Personally I would drive it. I drive my 944 on 200 mile trips all the time with out even thinking about it. These cars are great dont get me wrong. As long as every thing is in order you should have nothing to worry about. Obviously I would bring tools and oil on the trip. It all boils down to how much you trust the car. if you think it can make it then I say do it. Its one of those trips you will always remember.

Regards
Dave
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Drive it , nothing better than a long trip to get to know the car . Just make sure it's in tip-top condition.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I would have it shipped or go pick it up on a trailer. There is nothing like being stranded out of state. The Car needs to be inspected and gone through before a long trip. Been there Done That - No Fun.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

I agree with the drive it approach but here are some things to consider.

I would make it very clear to the seller your plans and try and leverage that to make sure there were no issues that might create problems. Be 100% sure timing belts and maintenance are up to date. Get a AAA membership it would be worth the money in the event of a breakdown.

On the other hand, I looked at doing this with my Mustang. Car as it turned out really was not road worthy, so not an apples to apples comparison but FYI.
I had it shipped from Long Beach, CA to Michigan and it cost me $1300. I got a dozen quotes from different brokers, some higher, some lower. I wanted covered but uncovered was cheaper somewhat. In any case, I was really glad I decided to use Reliable carriers. As it turns out I learned that their drivers are personally responsible for damage. So you have a driver that cares. I also learned that if you give them time, as in dont say you need the car next week the price was much better, by a decent amount. In my case, I told them if they could pickup anytime within three weeks I would be happy. They had the car on the trailer within one week on a Friday and in my driveway the following week. Was hauled in a covered trailer, no tarps, weather to worry about, stone chips,etc. It was well worth it and I highly recommend Reliable. No association to Reliable by the way.

My two cents worth.
1976 911S
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
If I knew the car was up for it I'd drive it, but since you really don't know much about this individual car I'd have it shipped...BUT I'd also want to be there when they're putting it on the truck to make sure they don't screw anything up. I guess I'd probably drive out there with a trailer and tow it back myself.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
That's another option. Shipping it yourself.
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Location: In a dumpster behind Albertson's in Los Angeles County
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 89-944NA
I had my car shipped from Florida (considered driving it from FL to SoCal), after I figured the cost of fuel, food, lodging etc, it was cheaper to have it shipped. Transported by Reliable, in and enclosed trailer, loaded it up in FL on Thursday morning (about 10am), I was driving it Saturday afternoon (about 4pm). Granted not all Reliable driver's run a 2 driver team, so your delivery could be longer, but in my case, the car actually moved for more than 16 hours a day.

Road trip would have been nice, but I would have had to drive long hours to make it from FL to LA in 3 days, and worry about the car getting swiped from the lot of some hotel in Texas or Arizona.

As for towing it back yourself, how good are you at towing cars in the snow?
Semper Fi
Old 01-10-2013, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
another round please

Thanks for all the reply's. The cost to ship is anywhere from $650-1600. If the deal goes through, which I've already agreed to, some might know the car if seen. It appears to be in 100% shape with all services done, belts, pump, lines, hoses. I just like the idea of driving to get to know the car. I've purchased cars in Philly, New Orleans, Fl, and drove all of them home without a hitch. Yes, things can happen. I'm going to have my BIL check it out because he knows car fairly well. I would take the southern route, Az, NM, texas, up around the north. Oh well, the trip is beginning, one way or another.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I would fly out there and drive it home. If it breaks down, I would rent a pickup truck with a car dolly to bring it home, and not have anybody touch it in your breakdown loacation unless it's something simple (wheel bearing).....etc.

My buddy bought a Rousch Mustang stage III from N.Y.C. which is 600 miles from home, so we just figured it would be cheaper to go get it. After figuring up diesel fuel in his pickup (with the car dolly), food, hotel room, it came out where having it shipped on a National carrier shipping company was only $20 more....less than $400.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

If there are places you want to go and things you want to see/do along the way, then drive it home. If not, that is a long boring drive. I flew to Detroit to pick up my 944 and drove it to TN, but that was just a one day round trip.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Although driving sounds like a fine idea, personnally I would ship it as long as I could stomach the shipping cost. I've done the shipping thing 3 times in the last 2 years. It like Christmas morning when the driver calls and says "I'm in your neighborhood, how do I get to your house?". Also, if this ride is in top shape as you mention, and this is your first 944, you'll find they are great road cars... i.e. long legs (sits at 80+ all day all night!). So factor in the ticket risk. I would lean towards shipping.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
another round please

Yep, I decided to have it shipped. Very reasonable, good reviews.
A load off my mind. When I thought about the weather and 2100 miles, it came into focus. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Drive or ship.

I just did this. I took a 944 out of northern Cal to Phoenix. Shipped it for $370 bucks. Glad I did. Turns out the timing belt was original and about to go. Tires were badly cranked on the front, were not safe. Car is now well tired) and belted and running like a top. Don't risk the belt issue if unknown.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I bought a car from LA and had it shipped to Maryland. Be very careful on who you use to ship the car! The best price on shipping does not always mean it will be cheaper overall. I saved a couple hundred in shipping only to cost thousands once the car arrived (lucky i have good classic car insurance) Word of mouth is prob the best source, i did not use that and learned my lesson....

regards,
dave
1975 911s -new home in denmark
Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
I have bought cars out of state. My son and I went to get a BMW. We actually had a great time taking turns driving it. We took our time, have dinner and it was an enjoyable experience.

We had the car checked out before we drove it back. It needed tires and we put an sew set on.

Good luck.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 03-15-2013, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinroydonal View Post
I would have it shipped or go pick it up on a trailer. There is nothing like being stranded out of state. The Car needs to be inspected and gone through before a long trip. Been there Done That - No Fun.
Use the Trailer, Easier and cheaper then shipping I would believe.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
I bought mine off of George Hussey (I know I know don't flame me) in Atlanta and had it shipped to Pittsburgh. I was all about a road trip, but the cost of flying there, missing a few days of work, gas, and hoping that nothing would go wrong was simply not worth it. Heck, and that was in 2000 when gas didn't break the wallet like it does now.

I think you made a good logical decision. Plenty of opportunities for road trips after you get it home & give it a good once-over.
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
I had to make the same choice last year and I'm glad I ended up shipping the car. Lot's of little things were amiss; I also replaced the belts, water pump, etc. just because I had a funny feeling although the PO said it had just been done. Nothing's worse than breaking down far far away.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: