Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
White and Nerdy

Garage
Underbody Coating

Didn't find anything in search. I've got some areas where I've knocked off the "soft" layer of under body coating while working on the car, paint underneath is fine. Where/how do I get what I need to fix this?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
I had a few places where the undercoating wore off or cracked off and I got one can of permatex underbody rubberized coating for like $4 from FLAPS and sprayed it on multiple places and still have a good amount left in the can. Shake it for like 5 minutes.
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 01-13-2013, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

if the what is caled chip guard is coming off the chassis you would want to replace it with a like product .
the rubberized undercoating will not do !
you want to find the product called chip guard . you can buy it in a spray can just like the thin crap called rubberized under coating .
chip guard is for just that it will take the punishment from little stones and crap getting thrown up at it .
Old 01-14-2013, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Use the original stuff the factory used its called Wurth Body Schutz. Do a search it's available at lots of places.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

A job for Sugru?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

the word schutz in english means guard .
rocker schutz is the 3M products trade name .
3M was the 1st to come up with the product 1st being used on the M. Benz than the next year porsche started using it . it's not the wurth SKS porsches uses but the 3M product .
you would think because wurth is a german CO that porsche would be using it but no it's 3M .

to do a proper repair of what is pealing off you would want to .
1st feather edge it back with a grinder untill it is no longer at a place were it peals .
2nd remove any rust that is on the bare metal
3rd etch prime the bare metal and let flashh for about 30 minutes .
4th chip guard over the primed areas . the 1st coat light the rest of the coats spray for texture . let the chip guard flash between coats .

wurth does not make there own chip guard ( sks ) it's made by U-pol . just like wurth does not make there own rust paint that is made by SEM .
wurth is not a chemical CO they are a distrbutor of products . what they do is buy from other manufacturers and sell products with the wurth name on them .
porsche uses to much chip guard to buy it from a middle man they go right to the maker .

there is also this to think about your car was not built at a porsche plant there for because it was built at the VW/Audi plans it 's coating are the same as you will find on any VW or Audi .
it's still BASF products just a deferent line than the glasurit paint line .

Last edited by 962porsche; 01-14-2013 at 09:50 AM..
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Interesting

Anybody spray this stuff on their jack stands?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukowski View Post
Interesting

Anybody spray this stuff on their jack stands?
yes it does not come off !
Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Wait, so what's wrong with the Permatex stuff?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Use caution when grinding metal parts:

Repeating

So after you disturb the asbestos fiber heat shield by the bell housing and breath in a few fibers start grinding the metal to increase the effect.

J_AZ
Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Lol
Old 01-14-2013, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_AZ View Post
Use caution when grinding metal parts:

Repeating

So after you disturb the asbestos fiber heat shield by the bell housing and breath in a few fibers start grinding the metal to increase the effect.

J_AZ
I enjoy wrenching on cars - but this is the part the stinks, keeping yourself from nastys.

In this case, as the peels aren't natural, but done while pulling the torsion tube in and out several times, the primer looks good and not cracked. I don't think I'll need to grind down to metal on this one.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: