Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
brake master, proportion valves and big brake kit

My track car is undergoing a lot of changes. Ive changed to 87 turbo spindles and I will be buying the big brake kit from Lindsey to replace my 86 turbo fronts. I have 86 turbo brakes on the rear.

I have a bias valve and because of the LS1 conversion I have a 'hydra boost' system that replaced the brake master. Im not positive the hydraboost is a real dual channel system and it needs to be.

The bias valve isnt a proportioning valve like what you would find in a Porsche. So do I leave it or put in a factory piece? Which factory piece for this brake setup?

I want to remove the hydraboost and the pedals I find awkard to heel toe. I think I will replace the pedal assembly with a tilton floor mount one so I can move the seat back also. I have no idea what I should be doing about the brake master in this situation. Can I use tilton parts and if so which master as I think there are different ones.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
I am guessing you are running a Ford type hydroboost and master? The Porsche bias valve probably wouldnt work well because it is sized for the Porsche master cylinder bore and stroke. The Tilton bias valve is a popular choice for the guys running this setup as they all experienced too much rear brake without it.

If you decided to do a pedal box, alot of info about which master cylinder sizes work is available on the 944Hybrid forum.

This is one thread that is worth a read..

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t50-tilton-dual-mc-setup

There was atleast one more i think regarding installing a pedal box but i cant find it. The search function on the forum isnt very good, so best to search the forum using Google.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I got my answer from Tilton, which is tell me more and we can help you.

They gave be a big list of questions they want answered. Rotor Size, piston size, number of pistons, pistons on both sides of caliper or not, car weight, etc, etc. From that they will tell me what I should use. Since I dont have some of that info until I get the big brake kit and I dont know the car weight with the new fiberglass body I will have to wait. But I feel pretty comfortable in that Tilton can get me the right parts when Im ready. The 944 hybrids forum helped also. Car is currently 2650 with no driver Im hoping I can get that down by 250-300lb with the body kit and a lot of work.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: