Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ok, I had what sounds like a similar problem in my car that took months for me to resolve. It turned out to be the wiring harness that connects on to the dme temp sensor.

I think you should go ahead and verify that the wiring is good going from the temp sensor to the dme. On mine the wires were broken right where the boot on the connector starts.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mueller944s2 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you have scored walls? I've scored the walls on two different engines so I know how you feel.
I got the head off and luckily for me there were no scored walls in cylinders 2/3, so I'm pretty happy right now! I haven't checked 1/4 yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eligunn View Post
Ok, I had what sounds like a similar problem in my car that took months for me to resolve. It turned out to be the wiring harness that connects on to the dme temp sensor.

I think you should go ahead and verify that the wiring is good going from the temp sensor to the dme. On mine the wires were broken right where the boot on the connector starts.
I tested the resistance at the sensor and at the DME connector plug and the values were the same. I'm going to send my DME out to be tested while I get my cylinder head decked and wait for parts. I'm pretty sure it's the DME at this point...
Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

since you got the same reading at the dme connector as on the sensor it sounds like you are probably correct, but what I am suggesting that you do is to unplug the sensor and the dme and test the wiring that goes to the sensor just to make sure it doesn't have any shorts or breaks in it.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Alrighty, I'll do that tonight. I have narrowed this down to either my DME or the wiring. I'm pretty sure it's the DME, so I'm going to have it tested.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
I just wanted to update this thread and post the solution to my problem. The problem was the MAF sensor. Here's the story: Being the moron that I am, I fried the original MAF sensor by hooking it up to the wrong side of the coil (I didn't know any better at the time). Josh was generous enough to send me a replacement and I fried that one as well. After frying 2 sensors I didn't want to ask Josh for a third, so I bought one on ebay. When it came I was super excited to get my car going, so I just popped it in, hooked it up to the correct side of the coil, and turned the key. No dice. Shortly after that I ran into the cross threaded sparkplug problem, so the NA-Tune issue was put on hold.

Once my car was all sorted out I turned my attention back to the NA-Tune. The car still wouldn't run and I figured it might have been because I installed the original chip backwards and fried it. Being the generous man that Josh is, he let me exchange my chip for a fresh one. It still wouldn't run. After exchanging a few emails he informed me that I needed to remove a resistor in the DME and install a jumper wire in its place, so I did. The problem still remained. I had my gasoline and matches ready, but I decided to take one last look at the MAF sensor before burning my car. Lo and behold the part number of the sensor I bought on eBay didn't match the number on the original sensor that came with the kit I bought another sensor from an online auto parts dealer and made sure to confirm the part number before installation. The numbers matched, so I popped it in and it started on the first try! The moral of the story is don't believe the item description when you buy something online. Always check before installing it.

Also, to anyone that's still on the fence about buying the NA-Tune, BUY IT NOW!!!!!! My hesitation, stumbling, shuddering, etc have all been solved by this kit. My car feels like it gained 50 horsepower (I deleted my cat at about the same time) and it's an absolute joy to drive now. Make sure you get it with the 4* cam key.

Tl;dr: New MAF sensor fixed it
Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Glad to hear that you got your car up and running. Now you get to enjoy it again. Thanks for the update, I like to hear how things turn out. I know I probably would have set it on fire after the second MAF sensor.

May the evil 944 gremlin stay far away from your car for a very long time.
Saved by God, because I could not.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWater View Post
May the evil 944 gremlin stay far away from your car for a very long time.
Shhh don't jinx it! I've had nothing but bad luck with this car... In the past month or so of driving it it seems to be all better, but only time will tell. Maybe this is just the calm before the storm...
Old 06-15-2013, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
That was my little prayer for you car, to keep it safe and running without problems. haha

My cars have been running good for a long time now. Once you get everything worked out they should be good for some time. Hopefully your's will.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
1983 944 N/A

Garage
Greenwater makes some great stuff, you will not be disappointed!!!

Dr. F. Porsche Stuttgart
Old 06-15-2013, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Idk... everytime I put a new only944 part in... disaster strikes just kidding. haha.
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 06-16-2013, 01:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
You've been keeping that gasoline on the sidelines for so long it probably wouldn't have lit off, anyhow. Glad you're up and running. I've been chasing a stumbling acceleration for a couple of years (part time). My next thing is trying NGK plugs vs the Bosch Copper + I have now. I'm wondering if the NA tune might be the answer to all the problems.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats on getting her up and running. Im glad you didn't give up on her.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
1990 944S2

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisRL
+1 what everybody else said.
Everybody knows that the secret move to getting it fixed is just one move ahead. Nobody agrees on what that move is, exactly...
Happy Father's Day, and kudos for not giving up!

Now, what's this I hear about NA-tune? :-)
Old 06-16-2013, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by POPS 83 944 View Post
Greenwater makes some great stuff, you will not be disappointed!!!
Yeah, I
checked out his site and saw some pretty neat stuff, specifically the cup holders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrplseven View Post
You've been keeping that gasoline on the sidelines for so long it probably wouldn't have lit off, anyhow. Glad you're up and running. I've been chasing a stumbling acceleration for a couple of years (part time). My next thing is trying NGK plugs vs the Bosch Copper + I have now. I'm wondering if the NA tune might be the answer to all the problems.
The gasoline in the tank that my car is currently running off of is older than the gas I was going to use to burn it, so it should still be good.

The NA-Tune fixed all of those problems on my car, so it should do the same for yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asidrave View Post
Congrats on getting her up and running. Im glad you didn't give up on her.
Me too. The hard work was worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRL View Post
Now, what's this I hear about NA-tune? :-)
It's great!

Old 06-16-2013, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: