Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
clutch replacement

There are many benefits to pulling the engine out of your 944. Am I the only one who would pull my engine to change my clutch.

I've done it before

Just curious???
Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
When the time comes for my clutch replacement, I will do the same.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
You're just adding to my nightmares
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 02-26-2013, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
Six of one, half a dozen of another.

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you can drop the engine and torque tube together, dismantle and replace the clutch on the ground and lift it all up as one unit again, that would be much easier. Is that even possible?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
My opinion is if you have to do anything to the motor like belts, seals, mounts, ect then pull it. If not then just drop the transaxle.

Dropping the transaxle is less tool intensive and you won't have to get an alignment (if you drop the engine rather than pull it).

I think when replacing the clutch you should inspect and regrease the cv joints. Also, it would be a good idea to replace the oil in the gearbox and maybe replace a couple of it's seals. You could even take a look at the ring and pinion if so inclined.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

White and Nerdy

Garage
For a clutch only job, I'd drop the the transaxel. I've done it several times, its not that hard.

If I was rebuilding the whole dang engine, then yeah, take it out.

If you find you have noisy torque tube bearings, you'll be dropping out the tranny anyway....
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Frankly my dear....

Garage
My first 944 clutch job was a gearbox out, torque tube back and lay on your back and work above your head nightmare. There is so little room you can end up getting hurt (well I did!). Got it done though and it's quite straightforward in general. My second was an engine out job. The engine was being swapped so doing the clutch was a breeze with the block just sitting there. To be honest, if I had to do another I would probably pull the engine and do a lot of other service 'stuff' to it as well. I found dropping the engine easier than trying to lift it out - just my personal experience.
Metallic Black 1980 924 - Those were the days....
Red 1979 924 - Hmm Minerva blue 1979 924 - Where it all began!
Old 03-03-2013, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The "lay on your back working above your head nightmare" is what I will want to avoid.
That would be the only reason I would need to pull the engine.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
Believe me , dropping the engine still involves plenty of laying on your back work(remove exhaust, starter,clutch slave,steering, cross member,radiator, and fiddly little job disconnecting the torque tube) but at least once the engine is out you can change clutch, pilot bearing and RMS in a more comfortable fashion. You need to lift the front bodywork so that the bottom of the valance is at least 25.5" off the ground. If you tdrop the engine whilst still mounted to the cross member it will save having to undo the engine mountings which have some awkward to get at bolts.
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 03-05-2013, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I find it far easier to remove the transaxle for a clutch job. Less than two hours to get the clutch out. Of course, it may help that I have a two post lift and can do the entire job standing up under the car.............
88 Fiero GT, 16 Mustang EcoBoost
Old 03-05-2013, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Either way you're going into your car pretty deep. With your engine out you can replace so many things that you'll be happy you did.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Schneider View Post
I find it far easier to remove the transaxle for a clutch job. Less than two hours to get the clutch out. Of course, it may help that I have a two post lift and can do the entire job standing up under the car.............
X2,drop the box, clean it, repack cv's etc,don't drop the motor out from the bottom if you do the motor out job,out the tops easy.
With g/box and t/tube out of the way you can get to the bellhousing bolts by tilting the motor and on reassembly you can retorque the clutch bolts thru the starter motor hole.
Buy or make a flywheel lock, theres other stuff I may missed cause its been a while,good luck.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: