Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Two part Portland Question (tires and town)

Hi all! I have recently relocated to the North West along with my '86 951. I have two questions for you all; one, I am wondering what kind of tires to equip on account of the rainy weather, and two, do any of you know of any good Porsche groups (I imagine the Oregon PCA would be a good start), parts suppliers, or garages in the area? I am relocating from Wisconsin so my tires have always been summer weather focused. Now I have the opportunity to drive year round, but I will have to contend with the rain. I appreciate any input, thanks!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
Welcome!

You wanna talk to Rasta Monsta. He's in your area, and is active in the PCA. I'm sure he could put you on the right track (pun intended)...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/members/40164.html

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

I absolutely love the Michelin Pilot Sports I have on the 944.
Phenominal both wet and dry.

Just park the car on the one or two days a year when snow flakes fall.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
No, Rasta Monsta is grumpy! Run awaaaaay
Old 04-07-2013, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I'm in Florida where we get a lot of rain and surprising "gulley washers". I've been running BFG G-force radials here and they really handle standing water well as well as great handling under normal road conditions. I ordered them from TireRack and had them delivered to a tire shop on their recommended list. Couldn't have been more seamless.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Rasta is the guy. He knows a thing or two about racecar.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Custom User Title

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantilla View Post
I absolutely love the Michelin Pilot Sports I have on the 944.
Phenominal both wet and dry.

Just park the car on the one or two days a year when snow flakes fall.
+1 - I've got the Pilot Sport A/S tires on my 951, and they're great - wet, dry AND in the snow.

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

I don't ever buy All Season tires. Too much of a compromise when dry, and if it snows, I park the car and drive the truck with big bumpers in case anybody bumps into me.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I run the Michelin PS2 in 17" on my 944 for street and wet track. Good wet traction down to 40 degrees or so.

Rich
Old 04-08-2013, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
Quote:
I don't ever buy All Season tires. Too much of a compromise when dry, and if it snows, I park the car and drive the truck with big bumpers in case anybody bumps into me.
I haven't noticed any problems when dry. They're really grippy tires. I love em.

But yeah, I use my truck in snow, too. It's 4x4 and has ABS. No comparison.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepellegrini View Post
I haven't noticed any problems when dry.
No problems, but I occasionally Autocross with the street tires, and that's where all-season tires show how much of a compromise they are.

Pretty rare to find the limits on public roads.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Join us for Burgers and Brews this coming Thursday:

oregon -PDX Beers and Burgers second Thursday every month

We can talk about tires and such then.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 04-09-2013, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Well thanks for all of the feedback everyone. I ended up buying a set of Sumitomos and so far I like them. My 951 arrived in Portland yesterday from Madison, WI. The transportation service was excellent, I would recommend them. Goldwing Auto Carriers. Took the car to a car wash to get rid of all the road salt and grime and the passenger side mirror broke loose. Needless to say I won't be going there again. Xpresso Lube and carwash on Cornell Rd. I've been busy ever since fixing it. Luckily in the process I have found a few great auto parts and electronics stores. I hope to make it to Thursday night burgers and brews this month!
Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: