Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Hard Shifting

Hello All,

My car recently got the tranny fluid changed out to Swepco 201. It was shifting a little rough before and I thought the fluid would change would help. Well it is still bad and getting worse.

The problem:

when cold it doesn't like to **** into and out of 1st, 2nd, and into 3rd. Out of 3rd and into 4th is fine.

When she warms up shifting smooths out considerably. Also I have to be sure to basically stand on the clutch pedal to make the engagement and disengagement as smooth as possible. My thoughts are:

- Shift linkage bushings/shift lever bushings
- clutch master/slave has air
- clutch master/slave is dying
- dying clutch? (it has been replaced with the turbo disc)
- syncros going kaput! I sure as hell hope not!

TIA

"Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect" - Ross Bentley
Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Sounds like a disengagement issue. How is the clutch disc?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
based on your storymy first suspect is clutch hydraulics. mine has a little play on the rear shift linkage but it still shifts smoothly enough. check the rubber portion of the clutch line for balooning, and verify the condition of both master and slave cylinder first.
good luck!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Do you have the rubber damped clutch? look inside the bellhousing to see if it has fragmented. Sometimes there are pieces floating around in there. Hopefully, it is just hydraulics.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I am going to bleed the Hydraulic system sunday and see if it improves. My natural inclination is to lean towards failing master or slave cylinder as it doesn't do it all the time. No the clutch disc is NOT the rubber one.

"Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect" - Ross Bentley
Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

FWIW, I changed to the Swepco 201 (when chasing my hard shifting) to Redline MT90. The MT90 improved the shifting , the real issue was the clutch disengagement. I swapped the clutch, PP and flywheel out and it cured my shifting issues.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

AFM #725

Garage
+1 MT-90 will be the best
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I replaced the rubber clutch with a conventional one, drained and replace tranny fluid with redline MT-90 and getting ready to install the new short shifter from online944. Shifting is smooth. Sounds like clutch or synchro's to me.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: