Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Motor Head

Timing belt replacement time

Is there anything besides the belt, tensioner, and idler that I should replace to do timing belt replacement? All of the front end seals are good and I'd rather not disturb them, and I'm not doing the water pump as that was replaced recently enough that I'm not worried about it. Is there anything else I should be concerned with, or does that cover it?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you have no leaks and you don't have the auto tensionier which I don't think that 86 had you should be ok but i would also replace the balance belt and idler as well.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

One thing I did to my 83 was mod the inner timing cover so I could get it off without removing the crank sprockets. Makes water pump changes easier. Some folks like to check the cam belt tensioner stud just to be safe, too.

+1 to the bal belt & idler too.
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Redline Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam View Post
One thing I did to my 83 was mod the inner timing cover so I could get it off without removing the crank sprockets. Makes water pump changes easier. Some folks like to check the cam belt tensioner stud just to be safe, too.

+1 to the bal belt & idler too.
Pictures or template for that? Does it retain the lower mounting bolts? It's a PITA to pull the crank pulleys every time and I have a water pump job this week.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I had the early inner cover. First I roughly copied the late cover cutaway for the water pump et al, and then I cut the inner cover at the crank, keeping one lower mounting bolt on the smaller piece I'd created. It works fine - after all, the inner and outer covers are flanged to fit together and the one remaining mounting bolt keeps the small pie-shaped lower piece secure. Sorry, I don't have pics. I still have to finesse the inner cover off the engine but it sure beats having to take everything apart just to change the pump.
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: