Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Spark plug pics...sputtering

I've had an intermittant sputtering problem for a 2 days now. Feels like it is only running on 2 or 3 cylinders at times. I could barely get the car home yesterday because of the loss of power.
So far, I have changed the fuel filter and checked the fuel pressure which checks good. Checked for a vacuum leak and found the heater control vacuum line had come out at the firewall end. Replaced it, but it is still sputtering a little on a quick test drive.
What can you tell with these pics of the spark plugs? These are cyl 1 & 2 but all 4 look the same.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Color's fine. Looks like blow-by on pic 3. Dump the Autolites and go Bosch. Maybe?
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Frankly my dear....

Garage
^^ Agree here, ditch the platinums and get back to copper. Not sure about pic 3 being blowby, it could be arcing?...check the EHT connector for similar marking inside. Try Bosch coppers as suggested or NGKs.
Metallic Black 1980 924 - Those were the days....
Red 1979 924 - Hmm Minerva blue 1979 924 - Where it all began!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, two problems here.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
100% on doing away with the autolitespic 3 shows the seal is gone on the crip. I run bosch
my toys
Old 05-22-2013, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Redline Racer

I'm actually up against kind of the same problem...cyl 2 will randomly misfire. I though it was a bad fuel injector, swapped a good one in and it didn't change. Thought it was the injector wiring, so I plugged in another injector while it was misfiring and the injector was firing just fine, so it's the plug not always firing. Swapped plugs between cyl 1 and 2 and still the same, so I'm pretty sure the distributor cap is not good. It's old and needs replacing anyway. Check that.

Yeah, I wouldn't put an autolite in a lawnmower. I've had excellent results with the NGK iridium IX plugs. Some people will swear by the regular old copper plugs, but they're just being old farts. They work, but the fine wire iridium plugs last much longer and will keep a good sharp firing tip much longer. Platinum is old tech and needs to die. It does wear harder than copper, but the resistance is pretty high. The iridium has low resistance and is very hard wearing, enabling fine wire electrodes to last.

Last edited by HondaDustR; 05-22-2013 at 10:18 PM..
Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Definitely ditch those plugs.

The color on pic #1 is pretty good, but there looks to be white deposits on the plug in pic #2. That's a sign of running lean. If a new set plugs doesn't the problem, I'd get your injectors cleaned and check your AFM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Honda, I think it was one of your posts that I read the O2 sensor could cause the problem so I disconnected that last night. The engine did not skip one beat to and from work last night. It's only a 15min drive to work and the sputtering has been intermittant so I'd like give it more time before I call it the problem. I'll reconnect it for now on my drive to get some new spark plugs.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

16vCorey, I was typing when you posted. I plan on taking more pictures after putting in the new plugs to see if those deposits are still there.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Reconnected the O2 sensor and also disconnected the heater control vacuum line so everything is the way it was. Ran up and got some new plugs, but no sputtering. Hmm. Took it for a long and very hard drive on the freeway and backroads for about 45min. No sputtering. I dunno, maybe it was an electrical connection that I reseated.
I'll install the new plugs anyway and check them after awhile to see what they look like.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
What plugs did you put in? Sounds like the plugs were the issue. I've never seen one with bad seal on it before but is sure seemed obvious.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I put in NGX BPR6ES.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Frankly my dear....

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDustR View Post
Some people will swear by the regular old copper plugs, but they're just being old farts.
LOL - This old fart uses the good old copper core BPR6ES plugs too...'cos they work well - as this case shows too . However, have yet to try the more exotic Iridium versions...
Metallic Black 1980 924 - Those were the days....
Red 1979 924 - Hmm Minerva blue 1979 924 - Where it all began!
Old 05-23-2013, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Quote:
ok, two problems here.

+1111111
Old 05-23-2013, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Quote:

Quote de HondaDustR

Some people will swear by the regular old copper plugs, but they're just being old farts.

LOL - This old fart uses the good old copper core BPR6ES plugs too...'cos they work well - as this case shows too . However, have yet to try the more exotic Iridium versions...
Going from Platinum to BOSCH Copper was a good improvement for me. I've heard good things about Iridium too though.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I am a little concerned about the deposits on the plugs. Looks like you could be running a little lean. I wonder if the O2 sensor is signaling that the engine is running rich and leaning out the injectors? By unplugging the O2 it will place you into an open loop mode and enrich the mixture. The plug with the tracking around the base is a little iffy. Other than that the colors look great.

Do you think that the sputtering and missing could be caused by the heavy rains that we have encountered the last two days? Are the cap and wires in good shape?

I should know better than ask that last question. I wish mine was as well kept.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Hey Clayton,
Now that you mention it, it did start to happen right after the first heavy rain we had on Tuesday afternoon, I think it was. That did cross my mind, but I've driven in heavy rains plenty of times and never had a problem. I'll check the cap and wires tomorrow. I'll also check the O2 sensor, it probably needs to be replaced since I haven't changed it in a long while.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I have gotten water inside the distributor cap after hitting a puddle of water. Nothing happened until I turned the car off, then it wouldn't start again. Luckily I was at home depot and I bought a can of wd40, sprayed the distributor cap and the car started right up. Just thought I would share that.
Saved by God, because I could not.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Quote:
I have gotten water inside the distributor cap after hitting a puddle of water. Nothing happened until I turned the car off, then it wouldn't start again. Luckily I was at home depot and I bought a can of wd40, sprayed the distributor cap and the car started right up. Just thought I would share that.
Kyle, stop driving through floodwater!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Best plugs I've ever used in multiple applications are Denso Iridiums.
1986 911 Targa We affirm that the world’s magnificence has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing car whose hood is adorned with great pipes, like serpents of explosive breath - a roaring car that seems to ride on grapeshot....
Old 05-23-2013, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: