Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certified Zip Tie Mechani

Just picked up two 944s for Chumpcar

Hey guys,

Been lurking around and thought I would finally register. A friend and I picked up two 944s recently to race in the Chumpcar series.

First is a turn-key 944 that was a previous Spec 944 car. 84 with an engine from an 87.

Second is an 84 parts car that runs (but not very well). The parts car is hanging out in my garage for the time being while I bring it up to par, but I haven't exactly decided what 'par' is yet.

Long term I expect to pull the engine from this car and use it in the race car, but for now, we'd like to keep the parts car mobile just for the convenience of not having a difficult to move shell.

When we loaded the parts car onto the trailer, it wouldn't hold an idle and had a nasty whirr/whine from the front end, which after reading through the boards here is probably balance belt related.

The short term plan is to replace the timing and balance belts on the car (the seller included a new set) and see if we can get that whine to go away. If not, we'll start replacing some of the idlers/tensioners. Then, see if we can get the thing to idle properly. I've read about the throttle body rebuild kits and other causes of poor idle, so first step is to tear down the intake, clean everything, and replace as many broken vac lines as I can find.

Also the oil looks pretty bad on the dipstick and its probably been sitting for a long time. I plan on changing the oil out with something cheap (gasp) just so I know its not old/full of water or gas.

Being that its a parts car, I don't want to go spending money replacing anything that wouldn't be replaced if the engine were pulled and put on a stand, so the interior is probably going to stay in the pretty poor condition that its in.

07 Honda Pilot
14 Mazda 6
Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats I have a Eagle Talon I race in ChumpCar. Very fun series. I kept my spare car as intact as I could minus tossing everything that I didnt need ( seats, carpet, door panels, headliner, etc ) and I brought it to the race. We ended up pulling from it a clutch reservior cap ( dropped ours behind the very hot engine ) , a rear brake line and caliper and some bolts when we swapped our blown trans. So dam handy just rolling it onto a trailer and having a duplicate of everything. The car now is used to store other spare parts for the primary car. We were even thinking of turning a second car into a caged ready to go car. In the event a a major failure\crash we could keep racing ( not for a podium though ). Read up on your car, you might find posts about it on chump car as I have seen it before.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Porsche 944S Club Sport

Garage
Send a message via AIM to guru944
hoorah:
Cool...
Id recommend an engine oil and coolant flush before anything....
keep us posted, later...
http://www.blackbirdmotorsports.com, 944/951/968, 911 and 955/957 Performance Solutions.
Thank you Lord, for your Loving Kindness, Tender Mercy, and Grace. Only You are Faithful.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Oh wow, you guys are gonna have fun! I wish you the best.

1970 Honda CB350 mint!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: