Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Mountain Road Maniac

Garage
OMG I did it again

They all said I was crazy and they are probably right, but no matter, somehow I pulled it off...again. I bought this car for $1800 about 5 years ago and at the time had no idea what was in store for me. It had a bad repaint on it which began to crack and peel but I figured for the price I paid, I could live with it. The paint gradually got worse and I got the brilliant idea to restore the car to its original color-sapphire metallic. Base and clear ran me about $200. and I totally screwed it up on first try so I sanded it down and 2nd try it came out ok. I figured I had about $600 invested in my driveway paint job and I wasn't too unhappy with the results. What I didn't think about was the idea that every time I got a little ding in the paint it was a big deal to repair, because you can't blend a metallic ( at least I can't) so over a period of years I ended up with some areas that got chipped and dented, basically, I had to do a total repaint ( again) to get it to look right. I happened to be perusing You Tube and came across this Rustoleum paint job 1967 Cougar part 5 - YouTube I figured I could do it and if I screwed it up, only a few bucks worth of paint wasted. Ended up spraying it about 4 times and finally buffing the sh#t out of it, then applying wax. I've actually spot painted a few areas I wasn't happy with, and they blend in perfectly with the existing paint. Also note the front bumper rubber-delete( couldn't stand the look of those things) I do not recommend that you try this unless you have a lot of time, patience and a very understanding wife or girlfriend. Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8hKv2S4sP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=5CllMkorcDY

Last edited by ColoradoSteve; 06-05-2013 at 02:53 PM..
Old 06-05-2013, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Not a bad start, but looks like it needs a good wet sanding with 2000 or 2400 grit wet/dry. There are a lot of small bumps from the spray pattern. If you sand those out and polish it, it will shine oh so nicely.

Post more pictures, please...
Old 06-05-2013, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Motor Head

As he said it looks like it could use some color sanding and buff, but doesnt look that bad at all. I had planned to do the Rustoleum spray job on my old pickup, but ended up selling it instead.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Where'd you get that rear center panel? It looks great!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mountain Road Maniac

Garage
Chunkerz,

The center panel is something I picked up on ebay it was a red reflective panel that had '944' in the center. I painted it, drilled and glued the badge on it. Easy. As far as wet sanding and buffing, it could use more I'm sure, but I got tired of working on it and the weather is too good for driving right now, so I'll continue the process at a later date. Right now I'm headed to town with the top off and a full tank, yahoo!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
I'm about to have my 944 painted (again) glad yours turned out pretty well
Old 06-06-2013, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: