Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Can anyone help me with this control arm?

I just had a ball joint bolt failure on this control arm. I bought the car with these kind of arms on it. Don't know what kind they are or if I can get replacement parts. The ball joint has a through bolt with brass spacers. Does anyone know what they are or if I can get parts for them? I'd like to get a ball joint repair kit but dont know if that's a possiblity. Appreciate any info on them.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

those are aluminum arms. There are kits out there for the ball joint repair. Rennbay has a relationship with Pelican, so I'm sure you can find them on the parts side. If not check out Rennbay.

"You're the best I ever had" --JJ Cale
Old 06-28-2013, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Rennbay

with all due respect to Pelican, call Travis at Rennbay. I just did both sides (always do both left and right) on my car. Travis (Rennbay) ball joint kit is super quality, with great service and always a phone call away if you need technical assistance.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ilikemy944
Those do not look like factory control arms.

Current: '86 951 Sunroof Delete - '89 951 - '83 944 Spec - '08 Cayenne Turbo
Past: '88 924S Track - '86 944 16v - '87 951 - '87 951 - '88 951S - '08 Cayman S - '87 944 Track - '93 968
Old 06-29-2013, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
They're not Lindsey and they're not Racer's Edge. I'm not sure who else fabricates 944 control arms. There's no name or number or anything on them?

I doubt you could use a standard rebuild kit. At the top left of your picture, if that's what's left of the ball joint, it's completely different than the normal 944 ball joint.

You might try sending full pictures (top and bottom) of your control arms to Lindsey and to Racer's Edge - they probably have an idea who their competition is in fabbing control arms. Maybe they could identify who fabbed yours.

I think unless you can find the person who made those and get a new ball joint from them, you're screwed. The only other alternative would be to find a machine shop to make a new ball joint for you special order. And that'd be big bucks.

A less expensive option might be junk control arms. If I did that, I'd definitely replace both, not just the side with the bad ball joint.

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

That looks like a custom machined (billet) arm, never seen anything like it before. If it is it will be worth repairing and a machine shop should be able to fit new pins and joints. If there are no markings my guess is that its probably an early prototype of a Charlie arm.

If they are billet and not cast you have some nice arms there.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

1988 944 2.5L 8-v NA 301k

Garage
Welcome to forum Lars..

Those arms make the oem's look "not worthy".
Lucky you.. keep us posted on your repair efforts.
Cheers
Paid just $1,700 running & inspected.
Big RUSH Fan! Lic Plate = LIFESON
Old 06-29-2013, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for your comments

They do seem like nice a-arms and I'd like to keep them. The ball itself seems like its just fine. The ball rotates in it's cavity and has a through bolt. The bolt is what sheared. I haven't found anyone who has ever seen one before. I'll keep trying.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
..I haven't found anyone who has ever seen one before. I'll keep trying.
If you do find who makes them keep us posted.
I have the Charlie arms on one of my cars and imo nothing else comes close but they are nla. I would buy the ones you posted if they still made them for my other cars.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Those just look sexy
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 06-29-2013, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Doesn't Racer's Edge still make control arms?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Doesn't Racer's Edge still make control arms?
Few aftermarket, Racers, Lindsey, etc. All are steel and all are expensive.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Control arms no longer available

Here's the scoop that I have been able to research. They were only made in a limited number by someone in the northeast. They are no longer available for good reason-while the arm itself is quite strong, the design called for a rather long pin and they were prone to shearing. That's what happened to me and it wasn't fun ended up in the tire wall. So I'll be replacing mine with stock arms can't find/afford charlie arms right now with my other expenses for my repairs. So looks are often deceiving.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

imo those forged arms are still worth saving and a good machine shop can machine & fit a standard length pin & spherical joint so the problem doesn't arrise again.

The longer pin was probably put in there to correct the geometry of a very low car while keeping the arms parallel to the ground like they should be.

If you spend a few hundred $'s fixing those you will have extremely strong and light arms that wouldn't fracture like the stock arms if you do have an off. FYI last time I saw a set of Charlie arms change hands they went for over $2k used.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: