Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

82 944 Starter problems

Hello everyone, I have a 82 Porsche 944 that has been working great until last week when I went to start my it, I turned the key and the car wouldn't start, the starter instead kept spinning even after I removed the key. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop (It also burnt my battery terminal a bit ). I had the starter tested (it passed )and threw the sucka back in the car, this time the car started but the starter motor wont stop spinning and/or the bendix wont retract, my only other thought was maybe the ignition switch was going bad so I replaced that and the problem still persists any ideas? Thanks in advanced dudes.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Automotive Necromancer

Send a message via Skype™ to SolReaver
sticking starter

Same thing happened to me. You should rebuild your starter. Either the bendix is sticking or the yoke is sticking, or the solenoid is sticking. I remember it wasn't a big deal and a few others run into this problem.
More later, check the thread
There may be nothing quite as expensive as a cheap Porsche: Ruby Red 84 928S : White 87 924s 2.5L NA (Blinky) M44/07-43H10676 spoiler delete - 046/2B - Belts 9/12, Clutch and OC seals 8/08 andd Red 94 Del Sol: Please put your Make, Model and Year in Sig. Try not to break more than you fix.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Automotive Necromancer

On target

Here ya go Friend!!

What to do and how to do it!!

Starter Problem

Happy trails!!!
There may be nothing quite as expensive as a cheap Porsche: Ruby Red 84 928S : White 87 924s 2.5L NA (Blinky) M44/07-43H10676 spoiler delete - 046/2B - Belts 9/12, Clutch and OC seals 8/08 andd Red 94 Del Sol: Please put your Make, Model and Year in Sig. Try not to break more than you fix.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply SolReaver, I figured it was the starter even though it "passed the test" I bought a new starter that should arrive here soon.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Automotive Necromancer

Instant gratification

Ah, I see.

I couldn't wait that long so I just took mine apart and put it back together again. Bench testing on a counter is different than operating bolted to a hot block.

Ya gonna rebuild the old one? Good to have as a spare and all that. Remember there are 2 kind, big ones and little ones. Either work. What does a starter go for nowadays? I haven't bought one in decades.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Cost me 100 clams I got it today but it was defected so they gotta send another one.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Automotive Necromancer

Curses, foiled again!

Awww... Man! I hate it when that happens!
A lot of rebuilders cheap out on the solenoids, a new one goes for 40 or so and I guess that just brings the profit margin too low. Funny you getting a defective one as the Quality control process on these things is....how do I say it... somewhat less than rocket science.

Besides, a bill is a bit low for a quality rebuild so you are prob better off spending the extra dough and getting the second cheapest or even third cheapest rebuild you can find. But, since you went with this guy give him the chance to make it right and I am sure the next one will be the charm.

Check for a BRAND new solenoid on your rebuild and examine the teeth on the drive to be sure that it is new as well. I went so far as to pop caps on a few and found that sometimes when people don't think that anyone will ever look in there, they tend to get sloppy. A coat of paint can hide a lot and I once met a "rebuilder" that basically found cores, painted them and sold them as rebuilds. MAN! his prices could NOT be beat!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

So it turns out the problem was not the starter. I found out that the new starter I got wasn't faulty but the solenoid had 4 terminals instead of 3 so after some confusion (Don't split the two red wires they still stay together on the same terminal) the car worked fine however my car died because the alternator wasn't hooked up correctly but the car started and performed fine. So when I did hook the starter and alternator up correctly the starter still won't disengage, bringing me back to square one. Things I have checked so far The battery alternator and starter are all good and I replaced the ignition switch, it seems to me that the problem only happens when the alternator is hooked up correctly so maybe there is a problem there.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
If you have the alternator wire(s) disconnected that connects to the starter, does this situation still exist? The red wire(s) that provide electric charging to the battery via the terminal on the starter. I'm hoping to determine that the problem doesn't come from the alternator circuit vs something that's causing the solenoid to engage from another source. If that doesn't change anything, then there's an input to the starter solenoid from another source. I was reviewing a wiring path that looked like there was one coming from the DME. It might be interesting to swap a DME with one from another 944 to see if there's something amiss in that area. Let's see what you find.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

When the cable from the alternator to the starter was disconnected the car started fine (aside from not charging the battery) I removed that wire as well as 2 other wires thinking that the wires might have gone wrong and they seem like they are fine. I read somewhere else that someone had a similar problem and they replaced the black wire on the alternator and it fixed the problem.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Automotive Necromancer

Electrical gremlins

Whoa, Dude....

Starter only really needs 3 things: Power, Ground and Signal.

Remove the signal wire, hook up the alternator and see if you are getting constant power to the signal wire with the ignition on. Please take a pic of what you are dealing with. Please let's take this logically and rationally. I advise against swapping DME just yet. As a sanity check identify and label your wires. Tape will do. Identify constant power and verify the signal wire. You would not be the first person to be confused by the hook ups.

If you are getting constant power on the signal wire....we have a wiring or ignition switch problem to deal with.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hello again everyone, I have come to the conclusion that it is not the DME because the problem still happens when the alternator and starter are disconnected from the DME. I am really racking my brain on this one I tested the wires and I have a new starter and alternator int there but the problem still persists, only it's random when the car will start fine and sometimes the starter motor keeps spinning any one have any ideas, perhaps I have connected the wires to the starter incorrectly, I will post a drawing later describing what I am dealing with.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I figured it out dudes, it was in fact the alternator and now my brights work as well so that's cool. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Automotive Necromancer

Victory!!

HA zahhh! victory is yours!

I shall toast your success!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
bendix , problem , solonoid , starter , terminal