Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Eric

Garage
It often takes a long time to get oil primed. When I rebuilt my engine I had to cank on and off for 20 mins with dme relay removed before I got pressure. It takes much longer than you think.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
No substitute!

Garage
Conclusion of the matter!

Ok, I have something that I have not seen at all, anywhere on any forum - how to get/test oil pressure in an engine on the stand without trying to start it, etc.
The original problem in this thread was coolant in the oil. I thought that I might have a blown head gasket. It was actually a blown oil cooler (OC) gasket. The best is yet to come.
I replaced the OC gasket and tried to get back to normal running and could not get oil pressure. Tried all the tricks I could find in the forums and Clarks Garage. No help. Pulled the engine and did the following:
Replaced rod bearings
Cleaned oil pan, install new pickup tube seal and pan gasket.
Pulled and made sure of OC stuff (gaskets, OPRV, etc.)
Pulled oil pump, cleaned and reinstalled

Now, before proceeding, I wanted to know if I was going to get oil pressure BEFORE doing all the seals and reinstalling the engine and finding that I still had a problem. In talking with a friend, he mentioned that with some engines, you could use a drill with a long extension to put down the hole where the distributor fits on a V8 engine and turn the oil pump to check oil pump operation. Not thinking outside the box, I told him that is not possible on a 944 oil pump because of the pump location. Then my neighbor, hearing this, asked “Why can’t you just take an old oil pump gear and weld to a deep socket and just spin the pump with a drill?” I told that man I loved him…in my garage. So, I got a 35mm socket that I had laying around and JB Welded the old gear to it and tried it. I did use some lube between the gear and the crankshaft to prevent tearing it up.

It worked! It worked! It worked! It worked!

Additionally, I was able to measure a change on the oil pressure sender unit with an ohmmeter when I spun it and heard the gurgle of oil filling the engine galley, etc. So I spun it again, and since I had left one of the balance shaft caps off of the front of the engine, I had a gusher from the end of the balance shaft! That was fun. Oh and way cool and encouraging since NOW I knew I have a working oil system! You do not understand the level of excitement in my garage at this point! That engine has been on the stand for a couple of years due to life…and having to repair a couple other things in the process.
Another thing. Check out this link ( https://newhillgarage.com/2013/06/25/1084-porsche-944-oiling-system-explained/) to see why you need to prime the oil pump by pouring oil in the side hole in the oil filter mount rather than the center hole as Clarks says. The side hole is a direct connect to the output of the oil pump. The article and pictures show the flow of oil in a very clear manner. You can pour oil in the center hole all day and not hit the pump with oil. That hole goes to the oil galley and on to the crank, etc. Take a look into the throat of the an oil filter. The oil flows one way as in the Mahle filter I have, there is a check valve in the throat that makes sure the oil flows out of the center hole of the filter. This stuff is nice to learn with the engine on the stand! I will remember this if I ever lose oil pressure while the engine is in the car so I don’t have to pull it out! Fun learning, but man, once it’s out, life gets in the way and makes the going slow!
If you get the opportunity, try running the wires through the block as they do on the newhillgarage website. It was fun to learn this stuff. I really would rather be driving the car…

I will likely put this material in a separate thread and appropriately titled so it can be searched.

Now I have the next project-removal of the water pump bolts that broke when I tried pulling the old pump. Ugh, does it end? I really just wanna drive the car! I take all kinds of heat about this project, but never from someone who drives a Porsche!

Last edited by akron; 01-12-2017 at 02:04 PM..
Old 01-12-2017, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

yea, that tool is a really good f***in idea!
wonder how many of those gears i have laying around ...
Old 01-12-2017, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Great idea and good info!

Glad to hear you're making progress. There are not many of these cars left here in AK.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
No substitute!

Garage
Almost done with engine install. Waiting on O2 sensor and heater control valve-leak found during venting cooling system when pressurized. Almost ready to start...more later!
Old 10-21-2017, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
No substitute!

Garage
Cool Started!

This has been a long time coming! It STARTED and has OIL PRESSURE! Thanks to everyone here and Pelican for fast service and great shipping to Alaska. I learned so much from all of you who participated in this forum!
Old 12-24-2017, 12:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
awesome ingenuity at work here. admirable.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: