Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
944 tail light cell lens removal

Hi guys! I've been having trouble with tail light leaks so I removed the housing and broke a really rusty beyond repair stud on the housing. How can I remove the break light lens so I can get to the other end of the stud? I've looked but can't find info anywhere and I want to know how to pull just the bottom most square brake light lens out of the housing.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hopefully you'll get a better response: I've never done it on a 944, but I used a heat gun and exacto on an 80's vintage Volvo. Resultant issue was that it leaked a bit after reinstalled.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
I don't know if you can do that. I have had both of my light assemblies out and resealed then, but individual lenses no.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 08-24-2013, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I cut out a section of a 968 light last year to repair a crack, and found there is another clear lens behind the outer lenses, with about 1/4" of airspace between them. Not sure if it's the same on the 944 lights, but if so you'll have to cut through both layers. I looked for a way to remove the outer lens on it, but it was plastic-welded together, so not dis-assemblable without a lot of Dremeling and re-plastic-welding back together. In the end, it was worth just ordering a new set so they'd match.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
There's some way... The website that sells clear lenses and signals etc have instructions for removing the amber and replacing with clear.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Just a dumb question... Wouldn't it be easier to simply replace the entire unit?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I agree with pfarah. At a cost of $25-$75, I consider them to kind of be a disposable item.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
I actually bought a spare set for 10 dollars each a few months ago...
You can never have too many spares!!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
There's some way... The website that sells clear lenses and signals etc have instructions for removing the amber and replacing with clear.
The official procedure for removing the amber lenses is to literally bust and break them out.

The original lenses sit in a small recessed 'gutter' so to say. And they are glued in very tightly. If you can remove one of them without breaking anything, I would give you the largest high five across the internet that the world has ever seen.

I constructed my tail lights by using the clear lens kit for the corners (by busting and chipping the old lens out), and then I used a donor set of tail lights to smash apart the black plastic backing of the reverse lens (I call it reverse-breaking technology) and glue it in place of the red lens which had also been broken out.

So, lots of breaking stuff involved.

End result:

1986 951 camo (drift pig 3.0)
1983 944 green (the bean! / daily driver)
Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Worth it... lol
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 08-24-2013, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
That is a sick nasty awesome 944 you have there, :b Well it has come to my attention that a new housing is probably a better/easier/less time consuming deal. One of the other lenses is cracked anyway, and there's a rust spot around the body where the tail light seals, so I figure when I go to have the car painted and bodywork done, I'll just get a new housing too. Thanks for your support guys, I didn't think it could be done but I know now that it can, however it's not at all worth it.

I also have another question. Given how much I love my 944 and my limited 3D modeling skills, I've created a cartoon 3D model of a late model NA 944 with phone dials. Here it is:

Forgive me for being off topic, I just want to know where I can make a thread for this creation. As you can tell by the photos though, it's not done. If you guys want, I can make wallpapers of a cartoon 944 to spec to your car (944 S2, Turbo, early or late model, what have you) in any color. I also have a 3D printer at my disposal (sparingly), so I may even make miniatures of this 3D model, though I'm unsure of this right now. Anyway, after I finish the model, I can render it to what you like! If you guys are interested in a cartoon 944 wallpaper or something of the sort, email me at johnolGTR@gmail.com. Just thought I'd throw this out to all the fellow 944 owners!
Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
That's Awesome!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Nice car. Nice model. To get back on topic, instead of replacing the light assembly just for a water leak, you can drill a very small almost unnoticeable hole at the bottom of the lens and the water will drain out and never be a problem again.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I've heard of this, it's called a "weep hole" but really, I don't want water inside the car period. I'm going to get some new butyl tape soon to reseal the housing.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR34 View Post

I also have another question. Given how much I love my 944 and my limited 3D modeling skills, I've created a cartoon 3D model of a late model NA 944 with phone dials. Here it is:

Forgive me for being off topic, I just want to know where I can make a thread for this creation. As you can tell by the photos though, it's not done. If you guys want, I can make wallpapers of a cartoon 944 to spec to your car (944 S2, Turbo, early or late model, what have you) in any color. I also have a 3D printer at my disposal (sparingly), so I may even make miniatures of this 3D model, though I'm unsure of this right now. Anyway, after I finish the model, I can render it to what you like! If you guys are interested in a cartoon 944 wallpaper or something of the sort, email me at johnolGTR@gmail.com. Just thought I'd throw this out to all the fellow 944 owners!
Did you ever find an outlet for your 3D 944 models? I like your rendition and just was curious if you had more online anywhere?
Old 09-05-2018, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: