Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Driver

Garage
Exhaust manifold question

Hi all,

I am planning on removing my exhaust manifold in a few weeks for replacement.

I am tempted to give one of the exhaust manifold nuts an experimental turn just to see if it will budge at all easily.

My questions are:

Is there any reason why I shouldn't touch them until I am ready to do the entire job?

Will this affect the lock nuts? etc.

As always thanks in advance!

GHEN

Old 09-21-2013, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I usually spray a little PB Blaster on them first. it shouldn't cause any problems for you to loosen then tighten back up. Know in advance though, sometimes the entire stud will come out with the nut. I usually get about 2 or 3 that do that. No big deal really. I have a friend who swears by the studs with the allen heads in them. That way you don't have anything in the way when you put the new manifold back on. They are polished and are only around $30 for the entire set. They make any future work a lot easier too.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheChef View Post
I usually spray a little PB Blaster on them first.
Great minds think alike, I actually sprayed some PB blaster on them right before my post thinking "can't hurt".

Quote:
it shouldn't cause any problems for you to loosen then tighten back up.
Thanks, appreciate the info.

Quote:
I have a friend who swears by the studs with the allen heads in them.
Those are actually in the mail on their way to me already.

Thanks,

GHEN
Old 09-21-2013, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I don't know if your car is a turbo or not (or that it even matters) but when I disassembled the exhaust system on my car, two of the bolts wouldn't come apart due to rust over time. I ended up cutting the heads off with a small die grinder using a cutting wheel. It was not fun as there's was precious little room to work in.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm in need of a stock collector for an 87 NA if you're getting rid of it....

CaptGino1@aol.com

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2013, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: