Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1979 Porsche 924 Bosch alternator

Do I have a condenser on the back of the alternator by the voltage regulator.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yep.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If that was bad would it make the alternator not charge and if so can i buy one? I also bought a vr thats for a 79 928 will it work on my 924?
Old 09-25-2013, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

No, it should just cut down on noise in the alternator output.

Not sure about the VR, but there's certainly a decent chance, I'd give it a try. If it fits, it ought to work, fairly common design. If the windings of the alt aren't boogered, that is.

Just went through this on my racecar, alternator finally died after decades of service; tried a couple of different volt regulators, but didn't help, had to swap out the alternator.

I assume you've verified that the wiring is OK/intact? Was the car working, then suddenly stopped charging, or are you restoring a non-running car?

If the latter, there is a connector (large, white nylon, 3-pin) on the firewall at the back of the head that can work loose and cause the charging to stop...
Old 09-26-2013, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'll try it thanks for the info.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm restoring a car that ran fine but then sat from 1996 until a few weeks ago. Car was fine when parked and I am having wiring issues.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Put new voltage regulator on and its still not charging. It could definitely be a wiring issue but I'm not exactly sure what to look for.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm also blowing through fuel pump fuses like crazy.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Step 1, grounds. Step 2, do you know how to read the wiring diagrams? I trust you have them, either Haynes or direct here from Pelican's scans?

If blowing fuel pump fuses... need more info, when and under what circumstances?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It does not blow the fuses at idle but if you step on the gas that seems to blow the fuse after a few minutes. It got so hot it made the fuse look like someone soldered it. So I think my alternator is good but I have a massive short somewhere. I need to find the ground diagram but im pretty sure it has 9 and I know where most of them are. Does blowing certain fuses give me an indication of where to start?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Absolutely.

Some simple searches will turn this stuff up.

Excerpted from 924.org: "Why does my car keep blowing fuel pump fuses/relays? If the proper size fuse is used (check the wiring diagrams in Haynes for the correct size), but keeps blowing, that should tell you something! The circuit, for whatever reason, is drawing more current than it should be! There is some possibility of there being a short to ground, but if the fuel pump (and car) is running, then suspect the fuel pump. A short to ground will prevent the fuel pump from running at all, but one sure sign of a fuel pump that is on its way to the grave is that it draws too much current while continuing to run. Typically what will happen is that it'll start fine and run OK while cold, but after being run for a while, the pump will heat up, pull down more current, and eventually blow the fuse, stopping the car. If this is the case, the fuel pump likely needs to be replaced. If you're not sure and don't want to waste a lot of money on a potentially unnecessary purchase, use an ammeter to check the amount of current the fuel pump is drawing when hot vs. when cold. Chances are it'll be substantially more, indicating it's time for replacement. Or, if you feel daring, you can put in a bigger fuse, and wait for the pump to die completely and leave you stranded."

Last edited by tamathumper; 09-27-2013 at 11:01 AM..
Old 09-27-2013, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The fuel pump is brand new but it is an aftermarket pump so there is a chance its bad. It blew the fuse right when I turned it over today so I'm gonna start going through grounds today. It has 7 grounds on it that seem pretty easy to check except for the one under the dash. I hope I can pull that fuse box out and check it out.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'm hoping all of my alternator and fuse blowing problems are tied into the issue. I still cant get the alternator to charge.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: