Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Repair on Porsches Prices

Im thinking about buying a 83 944 with 85,000 miles.Ive never owened a Porsche am i right in assuming any type repair will be alot more then what im used to .

I know this is a general question but i want to know if buying one is over my head finacially

Old 10-01-2013, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Financially speaking,

In your recent post you mentioned the clutch linkage:
New guy intrested in a 83 944 coupe

It could be a simple $30 used shift lever fix or a complete transmission failure.
Used transmissions are about $350 and up plus shipping of $150. Installation additional at $350 and up.

Shocks F & R Boge about $400
Tires about $500 for a decent set. +-

Basic maintenance -----without tools or skills to change an engine belt. $300 labor ++

The car is DIY and labor intensive. It is 30 years old and needs a lot of attention.
Labor starts at $100 an hour +- at a shop

You need to replace all of the rubber items front and rear. DIY is just parts cost of $400 ++ (motor mounts and ???) Labor will add $500 ++

What are your mechanical and electrical troubleshooting skills, tool inventory and shop/garage space??.

If you have owned a VW, Audi, or any other OLD German import you might have the skills and tools needed.

If you need a mechanic to do the work ----pass.

GL
J_AZ
Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_az View Post
financially speaking,

in your recent post you mentioned the clutch linkage:
New guy intrested in a 83 944 coupe

it could be a simple $30 used shift lever fix or a complete transmission failure.
Used transmissions are about $350 and up plus shipping of $150. Installation additional at $350 and up.

Shocks f & r boge about $400
tires about $500 for a decent set. +-

basic maintenance -----without tools or skills to change an engine belt. $300 labor ++

the car is diy and labor intensive. It is 30 years old and needs a lot of attention.
Labor starts at $100 an hour +- at a shop

you need to replace all of the rubber items front and rear. Diy is just parts cost of $400 ++ (motor mounts and ???) labor will add $500 ++

what are your mechanical and electrical troubleshooting skills, tool inventory and shop/garage space??.

If you have owned a vw, audi, or any other old german import you might have the skills and tools needed.

If you need a mechanic to do the work ----pass.

Gl
j_az
+1
Old 10-01-2013, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Not worth it if you don't/can't do the work yourself. Unless you really are incredibly wealthy and just love 944. But then you wouldn't be asking lol
Old 10-01-2013, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Gaw's got it right. The local P-dealership charges $260.00 for an oil change! Nothing else is included. Buy the oil filter, drain plug seal here and 6 quarts of oil (I'm not going there) from your local parts store. Perform the labor yourself and you'll save $200.00!

If you have any mechanical ability, you'll be able to perform many repairs on the 944. They're, I admit, quite fun to work on...
Old 10-01-2013, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
^

My local dealer is pretty good on prices. I guess I'm lucky.

That said, unless I'm rushed, I prefer to do the work myself. If you have to ask about the cost, a 30 year old car is probably not for you. You could spend nothing for years, and have a great car, or spend $10K in the first months because things that were working when you bought it, all failed at once.

I'd make a working AC a priority if you live in the south. Non-working will often need the whole thing redone, rather than "just a charge". $$$ there.

If things go well, expect maybe $500-1K a year. If things do not go well, north of $10k.

I have two of them, so I can take my time and put one down until I can take care of what it needs, and driver the other. My 2nd one was bought in non-running condition, not cheap it was to get it on the road, but its a fantastic daily driver for me now.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

AFM #725

Garage
It really can be unpredictable. For instance, my A/C only needed a "charge" and 2 years later it still works!
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 10-01-2013, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

"If you need a mechanic to do the work - pass."

John really summed it up right there.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
Plus, I'd be suspicious about the mileage. The early cars only have a 5 digit odometer and it's very rare to find an '83 with under 100k miles.

The difference in the kind of maintenance or repairs on a car with 185k miles vs a car with 85 k miles is enormous.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: