Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.44 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Straight shooter

Garage
W was President - A 944 Nightmare

... when this project started.

First post on this side of the Pelican house. I've found myself inheriting a decade-old 944 project from my brother. It was last touched/worked on in maybe 2004 and has since become an object of constant companion in my folks garage and they've all had enough. Long story short, my brother bought the car on ebay for what we thought was cheap from a guy in Connecticut (probably a member here) who said it needed a timing belt job. When we got the car home (the head was already pulled the heck off) we found a foreign object had destroyed a piston, cylinder wall and the cylinder head... we then sourced a donor car that was in rough shape to collect an engine and some body parts from. That's about where the project stalled - I moved west and my brother moved on to other interests. It's hard to stay excited about a 150hp sports car I guess.

I was visiting my parents for dinner and they mentioned I was welcome to the car in the garage otherwise it was going for scrap. I've run out of car projects of my own at this point in time as luck would have it. This isn't my first rodeo and I enjoy car projects during the long winter nights so I began inspecting the car and filling out a project plan. I'll share my project here if anyone cares to follow.

High-level overview of goals: Swap in Audi/VW AEB (big port) 1.8L 20v turbo power plant with big turbo and stand-alone engine management while maintaining function of all OEM Porsche instruments. Target HP: ~450 wheel. Square up body panels and basic re-spray. Budget: $4,000.

Here are day 1 pictures from the weekend. I live nearby and will be working on the car during evenings this winter as time allows until complete. If I'm able to complete the project with relative ease then hopefully this will inspire others to give it a crack.

All cozy at the farm where it's been perched for 10yrs:

Lots of spare 944 engine parts that will be unloaded cheap (PM me if you need ANYTHING - I have a spare tall-block in good condition)

Gross...

Old Momo, not bad actually...

All coming out...

Needing cleaning:

A decade of New England farm dust:

Updates will be slow coming until the snow flies - questions, comments and heckling welcomed.

“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Last edited by Lapkritis; 10-21-2013 at 08:25 PM..
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Ready for an application of elbow grease:

“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
1983 944 N/A

Garage
Sounds like a fun project, can't wait to see the progress!!

Dr. F. Porsche Stuttgart
Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I hope you at least kept the steering wheel.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
1988 944 2.5L 8-v NA 301k

Garage
Porsche Crest

Thanks for the progress report!
I see in Pic#1 you have the garlic cloves to ward off Vampires.
These cars can be real blood-suckers..
Good Luck mate..
Paid just $1,700 running & inspected.
Big RUSH Fan! Lic Plate = LIFESON
Old 10-22-2013, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Nice Audi 90. V6 or I5?

Neat idea on the engine swap. I've never been a fan of the 1.8T, I would do an I5 before that. IMHO!

Nice collection of Craftsman tool chests too!

Take care,
Old 10-22-2013, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by POPS 83 944 View Post
Sounds like a fun project, can't wait to see the progress!!
I have some parts already on order... I need to take it a little slow as the 911 engine rebuild ate into my "fun" fund for the entire year. Now THAT was a blood sucking adventure.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrplseven View Post
I hope you at least kept the steering wheel.
Yessir, I plan to fix the horn button and keep the wheel. One of the few nice parts on the car. The interior is very clean other than the dash cracks which I can live with.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast View Post
Nice Audi 90. V6 or I5?

Neat idea on the engine swap. I've never been a fan of the 1.8T, I would do an I5 before that. IMHO!

Nice collection of Craftsman tool chests too!

Take care,
Audi is a 90 V6 quattro that my brother uses for a winter sled. It's still solid but has seen better days. Quattro, studded snow tires and an experienced driver means you can drive in virtually any weather... it is a lot of fun with such a well balanced and intuitive drive system. My daily is a B5 quattro sport that I've had for coming up on 11yrs. Love those cars...

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Oops. Didn't mean to rat on the 1.8T (you may have on in your B5).

I've never had one, only heard its a maintenance intensive engine. And heard people whine about it. (Haha. get it? WHINE! Like turbo whine. Yea bad pun).

OT: Sport seats included in your B5 sport? They were pretty rare, most sport packaged ones seem to not have them.

Not digging the mold though. Lol.

Mating the 944 gauges to the 1.8T harness should be a challenge.

BTW, your left door is missing the hinge arrester. But I guess its not the only thing missing!

The humor: not meant to be mean. Just a good laugh.

Should be a fun project!

Take care,

Last edited by FrenchToast; 10-22-2013 at 08:25 PM..
Old 10-22-2013, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
My Audi has the 30v V6. This is my first owned 20v project but I've been around them for a decade.

The harness should be one of the easy parts. I plan to run either a http://www.VEMS.us ecu or perhaps a megasquirt unit which I happen to be more familiar with. The engine sensors for the Porsche instruments can be fitted to the 20v or because they're both Bosch/VDO the 20v sensor may be compatible. The rev counter is relatively easy as both are 4cyl. I'm undecided if I want to keep the problematic Audi coils or if I will go to a waste spark pair of packs like GM DIS that are more robust and reliable..all bridges to cross once the time comes to order. First steps are to get the body done and watch for deals on the bits I may need. Bodywork I hate...
Old 10-23-2013, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Heading to pick up the 20v engine tonight. The donor is a 1999 Passat 5spd wagon. Deal was too good to pass up as a core to rebuild.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Looks interesting.
Where are you located in New England?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Sounds like you've done plenty of research!

You taking that whole Passat, or just the engine? Cuz I think when DP made their 924 wagon they used a Passat roof. Hmmmm........ lol.

Is the 1.8T a coil-on-plug system? Plugs are fuuuuuuun with those!

Take care,
Old 10-23-2013, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Central Vermont location for this project.

Quick drive to Live Free Or Die country tonight and snow for the first time this year was falling once returned to the garage:

The big port head:

T3 manifold also arrived from SPA

I've done a bit of research but still have a few areas left undecided. I'll try to document each decision/part area here.

Last edited by Lapkritis; 10-23-2013 at 09:22 PM..
Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Oh and a

Weekly 80's flavor for the thread:

Last edited by Lapkritis; 10-23-2013 at 09:21 PM..
Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Starting on the clutch adaptation. Taking some pointers and notes from the "Got Wood" Lemons 944 with the swap already running. Those gents made a simple half inch flat adapter plate to mate the AEB directly to the 944 bell housing. I was previously planning to use the VW 02A bell housing adapted to the torque tube... not entirely sure which way to go yet.

20V Passat flywheel on the engine already:

Old 10-24-2013, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Degreased for a few hours and then stripped this sucker down tonight:

Nice squirters on these engines... great for high hp.

I have my parts order ready to reseal/re-gasket the tall block and rebuild with all new bearings/rings. Giving more thought to staying below 400hp for economic reasons; this is a side project and not looking for a serious high hp basket case. The stock bottom end is good for right around 400hp before you begin bending rods; I imagine that's about as much as you would want from a street 944. Difference between a 600hp build and a 400hp build with these is about $1250 for machine work and forged pistons/h-beam rods.

More from the 80's:

Old 10-25-2013, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Found a tool that allows you to search by spline... takes the mystery and whimsy out of the clutch disc search entirely.

https://www.centerforce.com/products/product-detail/id/CTF-DF203024/name/clutch-cover-disc-for-71-86-ford-mercury-cars

So the output splines of the 944 driveshaft and henceforth the clutch disc measure Spline count = 23; Pilot diameter = 14.9 mm; Spline diameter = 25.4 mm.

The 1.8T/Vr6 is spline count= 28; spine diameter 22.25mm. Not compatible.

Cross referencing a disc to order is pretty easy actually. The guys with the Got Wood 944 say they're using the Rx8 disc which is 235mm diameter... the 20v(G60) flywheel calls for a 228mm diameter disc so you would have to machine the G60 flywheel out to make room for the the extra size of the Rx8 disc. I would rather keep off the shelf parts when possible so I consider that not compatible due to machining required on the flywheel.

Cross reference results on the Centerforce site turn up a disc part number
DF009035 which is a clutch disc for 1985-89 Mercury Merkur This disc is 228mm. This will work with the 944 output shaft and also is a perfect match for the G60 flywheel.

Last edited by Lapkritis; 10-26-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Old 10-26-2013, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Perfect blend of resto, modding, building, painting, trailering and the music of my youth!

Now that's entertainment!

Old 10-26-2013, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: