Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

shift linkage removal

I cannot find in the shop manual where the shift linkage is removed. I cannot gather from my previous post how to do this. I think the torque values are in the SM. I am aware of the after-market shift linkages available.

I want to remove it to put a seal where the shaft goes into the transmission. are there directions in the SM? is this a matter of simply undoing the nut on the "connecting rod"-like piece, slipping a seal over the shaft, and using the same nut to tighten?

pic:

previous postings:
tranny parts: articulated arm on shift link (?)
Transmission bracket trouble

Last edited by Bukowski; 11-07-2013 at 06:33 AM..
Old 11-07-2013, 06:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Yes, undo the nut, pry the shift lever off the shaft (expect the shaft to move in and out), use a little emery cloth on the possible burrs, re-do the seal and then push the shift lever back on and replace the nut with some locktite red on the threads. By the way, this is a good time to install the short shifter from only944.com. You won't regret it and it's so cool!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I might have been asking the wrong questions -

the seal I want to replace is around the shaft that the shift lever is tightened onto. The seal is inside the transmission case, but is visible. The SM describes prying this seal out.

I need to know about the shaft - the one that the lever rotates. It is not clear from the PET how this shaft is held in place other than the shift lever. I looked at the only944 instructions, still wasn't clear.

so another way to ask is, when the lever comes off, how is the shaft held into the transmission?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
You take that selector shaft out from the other side of the transmission. I believe there is a flat triangular aluminum cover that is held by hex head bolts.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazar01 View Post
You take that selector shaft out from the other side of the transmission. I believe there is a flat triangular aluminum cover that is held by hex head bolts.
I know that piece. thanks, now I'll have to think about this too - but for now, this jives with pieces I saw in some of the diagrams of this area. Thanks.

UPDATE: while I am working this out - I could be wrong, but the seal I am interested appears to be the subject of this tutorial:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/mult_shifter_rod_seal/mult_shifter_rod_seal.htm

that's for 356 or 911, but Dempsey claims it is similar for other Porsches. Also I already have the exact tool he describes to do it - one less tool to get...

so for "non-hardening gasket sealer", would one of the Permatex "form-a-gasket" non-hardening sealers be adequate? so nothing too specific, just a general product?

also another question assuming that tutorial is useful for 944's : when the shift lever slides off the shift selector rod, it has to make an angle - how much of an angle is there? how cautious should one be with this - is this potentially damaging the rod?

Last edited by Bukowski; 11-08-2013 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: found link
Old 11-08-2013, 12:12 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
how is this going to work - when that plate comes off, is the shaft going to spring out? should the opposite side be loosened first?
Old 11-08-2013, 04:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Worst Mechanic You Know

Garage
This is what you're trying to do right? I removed and installed in 30 minutes tops Short Shifter Instructions - only944.com
Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukowski View Post
how is this going to work - when that plate comes off, is the shaft going to spring out? should the opposite side be loosened first?
This will give you a top view. You have to remove the shift rod lever bolt, detent and cover so you can pull out the shift rod to change the seal.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
This will give you a top view. You have to remove the shift rod lever bolt, detent and cover so you can pull out the shift rod to change the seal.
wow, thanks a lot for the detailed explanation, though it is scaring me off - interesting view of the transmission interior as well.

how does the shift rod go back in - just push it in and it will find its way?

I am considering just doing the shift rod seal instead of that opposing seal under the cover.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukowski View Post
wow, thanks a lot for the detailed explanation, though it is scaring me off - interesting view of the transmission interior as well.

how does the shift rod go back in - just push it in and it will find its way?

I am considering just doing the shift rod seal instead of that opposing seal under the cover.

The shift rod has a spring behind the cover. It pulls out from that side.

Once the rod is out, you can pull out the rod seal and change it. You may try to change it without pulling the shift rod. You can probably put a metal screw to it and pull it off the housing.

That rod seal is high up above the case and they do not usually leak gear oil. Is it really leaking gear oil?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:15 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

the paper gasket for the triangular piece - will a piece of oil-resistant stuff from the FLAPS be adequate or am I going to have to wait for the Genuine Porsche piece to come in?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Worst Mechanic You Know

Garage
I've never heard of that leaking... I don't think I even knew there /was/ a gasket there!
Old 11-11-2013, 04:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: