Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Andrew Gawers' Dad

So you picked it up? How's it look? Where you at now on the build?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Wouldn't you have studs in your bad block?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Engine is in the mail.. there were some complications with shipping because I don't own a forklift.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
So it came today.. Cylinder walls look okay... the engine was kind of seized and left in the weather so I'll see more once I get it apart.

^ it looks like it has a blocking plate on the oil pan for whatever sensor is on my engine.. I think it's the oil level sender, or temperature sender.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

It's an oil level sensor.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
What's the best way to clean and polish these cylinder walls? I want to get rid of the buildup but I don't want to damage them or use the wrong chemicals or too abrasive of a cleaning pad... what's the protocol here? Is it bad to use WD40 on these sensitive and special cylinder bores to clean out the grime?

I'll be moving my internals to this engine after I get it apart and cleaned.

Also, should I keep the oil level sender deleted or add it back?

Last edited by Endat; 12-30-2013 at 09:16 PM..
Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Clean the what off the whatnow? And why?
Old 12-31-2013, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

Pics of the bores? What is built up?

Also, my 86 didn't have the sensor, but my new 87 motor did. The sensor is in the pan, but obviously not hooked up. Your call on that.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

Are you talking about that crusty carbon at the top?
Old 12-31-2013, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, clean the crust from the top.. I don't want it getting pushed into the cylinders when I install the new internals.

The engine wasn't seized badly, but there was a rust line on the cylinder walls from the rings when I gently moved the pistons. I moved all pistons to TDC and gently brushed the crap from the top of them (so the crap doesn't fall back into the cylinders) but I want to make the cylinder walls spotless before I install the new internals. I can't leave them alone, what's the best way? Oil and a rag? Brake cleaner and a rag? WD40 and a rag? I've heard about something called scotchbrite, is that a good idea?

I'll post pics of the bores tonight

Last edited by Endat; 12-31-2013 at 06:12 AM..
Old 12-31-2013, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Best to clean the lip before you pop the pistons out the top otherwise it can gouge up the piston.

WD40 works if you're patient and let it soak. It's perfect for wiping everything down to clean. I have a few soft bristle plastic brushes that I use for delicate cleaning. You can also scrub it lightly with a red 3m scuff pad but don't get carried away on the bare nikasil... you can mar it up without much effort. The use of a scuff pad should be limited to the top of the tar/crust that you're removing and not any of the surrounding cylinder wall or OEM coating. You may notice large chunks come free with your fingernail or a plastic blade... again give respect to the surface even when using soft working materials.

I've used oven cleaner in the past which is quite a bit "hotter" than wd40. I would take great care to limit the time the acid is in contact with all engine materials. It has potential to burn your skin/eyeballs and can cause severe damage to the engine if you don't rinse completely. Works but not my recommended method.
“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 12-31-2013, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
It got a little warmer.. Oiled the cylinders today and cleaned most of that black crud from the top of the cylinders..

I think I'll have to use my flywheel to get the crank bolt off, the block didn't come with a flywheel or clutch as advertised
Old 01-19-2014, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
It's almost warm enough to start putting this together. I'm excited
Old 02-02-2014, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
I started stripping the block down.. gonna swap the internals in the next week or two, then I'll be back to the point were I started this thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Nice! Keep it comin!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

Stay motivated, let us know if you have any questions.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
I've got it pretty disassembled so far.. just need to remove the crankshaft and plan my strategy for cleaning it, getting it on the stand and swapping for the other internals.

I think I need new rod nuts, or am I mistaken? I used new ones on the trash block but they've been torqued.. are they stretch nuts or can I reuse them?

Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage

Okay, now how do I clean this? ..and do I need new rod nuts?
Old 02-13-2014, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Best to clean the lip before you pop the pistons out the top otherwise it can gouge up the piston.

WD40 works if you're patient and let it soak. It's perfect for wiping everything down to clean. I have a few soft bristle plastic brushes that I use for delicate cleaning. You can also scrub it lightly with a red 3m scuff pad but don't get carried away on the bare nikasil... you can mar it up without much effort. The use of a scuff pad should be limited to the top of the tar/crust that you're removing and not any of the surrounding cylinder wall or OEM coating. You may notice large chunks come free with your fingernail or a plastic blade... again give respect to the surface even when using soft working materials.

I've used oven cleaner in the past which is quite a bit "hotter" than wd40. I would take great care to limit the time the acid is in contact with all engine materials. It has potential to burn your skin/eyeballs and can cause severe damage to the engine if you don't rinse completely. Works but not my recommended method.
Right.. Forgot.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Nice thread! Truth be told, on my build, there was no talk of Alusil...i just told my guy it was out of a Porsche, it was aluminum, and that it was very special. He assured me that he knew exactly what he was doing.

I have been running 16-18 psi for 20k+ miles. I guess it was good enough.

Kinda scary though...i almost want to call him and ask what he did, and how he did it. Or if he has no recollection, how he would do it.

...Anyway, keep up the good work!

Old 02-13-2014, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: