Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Andrew Gawers' Dad

Yes, new rod nuts.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Garage
The WD-40 and a nylon brush work well.. I didn't bother cleaning the bottom part of the cylinders that much.

Cylinders 1,2,3 and 4

There are some vertical scratches on cylinders 1 and 3

And some odd discolored (maybe water damaged) areas on 1 & 3

The scratches aren't that deep, but the discolored parts worry me (not sure if the coating is diminished or what). But this is the best I've got so I'm just gonna go with it..

I ordered those new rod nuts. Thinking about getting a yellow zinc coated hardware kit from eagle day.. anybody use these?
Old 02-14-2014, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
Found a few more sources for hardware..
Metric Hardware, Metric Fasteners, Metric Bolts, Metric Nuts & Time-Sert Thread Repair
https://www.boltdepot.com/Catalog.aspx
McMaster-Carr

Disassembled the ruined block.. put the replacement block onto the stand.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
Pelican tracking says the rod nuts and balance shaft bearings will be here Friday.. After I get the block assembled, I'll need some help identifying parts from the Victor Reinz gasket sets.. It has a few o rings and washers I'm not sure about
Old 02-18-2014, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Check on a thread acouple years back by hondadustR or something like that. It goes over the paste you use, and honing the cylinders with a scotch brite green pad. Don't feel too bad, that chap had to rebuild his engine because he left blue towels in the intake...

Now let's talk performance. 968 intake valves and seats??

IRR... What IRR!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
I remember that thread.. No performance mods except an ordinary competition valve job.

So my parts came in the mail on Friday (thanks Pelican) and the block is assembled now.. does it look like it's going to explode this time?

Started by taking the bare block outside and hitting it with degreaser and a water hose...

Found some sort of weird tube in the #3 oil channel (wonder what it is?)

I cleaned the LiquiMoly from the crankshaft and main bearings...

Aligned the #1 main bearing, installed the crankshaft and rear main seal..

Laid aside the bearing carrier, nuts bolts and torquing tools...

Old 02-24-2014, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Garage
Squeezed out some Loctite 574 and then applied new LiquiMoly to the main bearings

Cleaned the Pistons and rods/bearings.. applied some 'Moly to the rod bearings.. installed the pistons.

Then I started sorting through the seals and figuring out what goes where...
Old 02-24-2014, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
I forgot to mention that I put the LiquiMoly on both sides of all bearings and used this red assembly lube gel to install the rear main seal.. and recoated the cylinders and pistons in Castrol 20W50 before installation.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Found some sort of weird tube in the #3 oil channel (wonder what it is?)
That looks like the remains of the "j-tube" that oils the cam chain tensioner on the head.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Lookin good - did you maintain correct orientation of the tangs on the rods/caps for crank rotation? Just one of those things that I've seen as an easy, costly mistake by even seasoned engine builders.
“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 02-24-2014, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage
I'll check it against the tensioner J-tube next time I get a chance, could be..

I made sure to match the numbers on the rods to the caps... The 1,2,3,4 are facing the driver's side for the rods/caps. I didn't think it made much difference as long as it is consistent.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endat View Post
I forgot to mention that I put the LiquiMoly on both sides of all bearings and used this red assembly lube gel to install the rear main seal.. and recoated the cylinders and pistons in Castrol 20W50 before installation.
I assume you mean you put the LiquiMoly on both halves of each bearing? The side of the bearing that seats in the bearing bore needs to be clean and dry.
Also, the pistons and the rods are directional! I don't have my shop manual handy right now, but there is a "front" to both the piston and rod.
88 Fiero GT, 16 Mustang EcoBoost

Last edited by Rod Schneider; 02-25-2014 at 11:56 AM..
Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, both sides.. The top side and bottom side, but only on the bearing surface.. There's no point putting Montagepaste underneath the bearing..

I found a forum post and it looks like I have the rods installed backwards.. I'll have to get new nuts, remove the pistons and try again..,
944 Online Forum - The Porsche 944 Forum For The 944 Enthusiast.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Oh man, sorry to hear that - I recall how down you were after the cylinder wall scoring.

Good on ya for getting this far, though, and even better that you're seeing it through. I'm watching your progress and will cheer your finish.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Garage
Wait a minute.. that post was a Left hand drive vehicle... I have them installed in the right direction after all

I can't actually find anything in the workshop manual about the direction the rods face.. just instructions to match the numbers on the rod caps on the same side as the rod.

Thanks for the encouragement m8
Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Garage
It must not be important...
Old 02-26-2014, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Garage
Let's talk piston rings.. It looks like the 2 compression rings are offset from one another only slightly.. I installed the 2 compression rings with the gap in opposite directions because that's what it said to do in the instructions the Goetze rings came with...

I may have to remove the pistons again anyway if I have them offset too much.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

I installed my rings with the gaps all equally separated.
Note your pistons though, those do in fact need to face a certain way.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, the arrows point toward the belts as they should..

Also, the rings in ^ this picture look similar to the way I have mine installed.. compression ring gap facing the 1, oil scraper ring gap facing opposite (i assume) and the oil wiper ring gap facing the arrow (in the picture its 45* between the 1 and arrow).
Old 02-26-2014, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

Here's how mine face, but mine is an 8v engine so I only have the two valve relief cuts. Are the relief cuts in the top of your pistons the same size and depth?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: