Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Smile A Time Attacking Porsche 944 Turbo

Check it out!

German Speed Metal:A Time Attacking Porsche 944 Turbo | Speedhunters

Last edited by starryknite; 12-17-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Old 12-17-2013, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yup thats a 944, took months and months to construct because everything had to be replaced, HUGE budget(probably way more than what the guy thought), dies just when you think you love it most and doesn't impress anyone.

I'm buying a boat
/rant
Old 12-17-2013, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
It looks like someone spent mega-bucks on making that conversion. It's extremely well done. And the engine is very impressive.

But it's pug-ugly in my book.

All sorts of rivets and random vents and a wing and a front spoiler that looks like it's a Mad Max cow catcher from a bad sci-fi movie (Mad Max 47 - Beyond the Comb-over Drome). I might speculate that the guys were sitting around sipping Chablis and smoking doobies one night and thought up "all this really cool stuff" and hung it on the car. Like it was designed by Bill and Ted before they went on their Excellent Adventure (or maybe rather after...).

Dare I ask if they did any computer modeling of the aerodynamic effects of all the vents and wings and whatnot?

So how did the car do in the WTAC? I didn't actually see anything on that.

My two cents. I admit I'm a purist.

But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
Looks awesome but that huge front wing thing is ruining it
Old 12-17-2013, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Frankly my dear....

Garage
Porsche Crest Bit of a beast...

That is 333pg333's car - introduced to us later in this thread..

SPEC 1987 944 dedicated track car debuts at SEMA w/ pics!

Under the bonnet is very impressive...nice one!

When Porsche design a car they try to get the form over function equation right, as the vehicle is really destined for the street. What Patrick has done kinda swings the other way in some respects, but his motor is purely a track-bred beast. Sometimes you have to do radical things to gain an edge and if you look at a lot of F1 hardware over the years, plenty of that was a bit 'iffy' cosmetically.

However, under the 'cow-catcher' is still a pretty good looking '44 turbo, finished to a very high degree.

Mean and purposeful is how I would describe it!
Metallic Black 1980 924 - Those were the days....
Red 1979 924 - Hmm Minerva blue 1979 924 - Where it all began!

Last edited by rhett; 12-18-2013 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: Error, thought it was a 16V turbo...my bad!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
I dunno. I think it looks like a SubaruHondaPorscheEdsel. With a cow catcher.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Why did he do all that stuff? It only ended up with 505hp...
Old 12-18-2013, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

It's the cleanest track 944 I have seen. Apart from the fender vents and the funky side art on the splitter, I like it.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Cliff notes on what happened to it please?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
Quote:
Cliff notes on what happened to it please?
It met Dr Frankenstein.

I'm wondering about the 968 transaxle. Other guys I know who have done that say it's too close ratio to really take advantage of all the power. Like, you floor it then havta shift... And be careful you don't hit the rev limiter.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Guys

Just saw this thread and thought to answer a few questions.

Firstly I agree that itís not the prettiest 944 that ever lived but will counter that with the fact that Aero doesnít care about cosmetics. Itís purely function over form. Having said that, we were running to a deadline and the frontal aero was put together pretty quickly. Thatís not to say that itís flimsy in any way. As Mike points out, thereís lots of rivets (which some people have remarked they like!) and the side supports were put there to re-inforce the Canards/Dive planes. Iíve found that Aero isnít at the forefront on a lot of US Porsche forums which I believe is due to the Time Attack format not being regarded as highly as door to door racing. Fair enough. Also as T.A. are largely JDM fields it doesnít really mix with the Porsche crowd. Most of the Aero that I see on Porsche forums is pretty old school and has been far surpassed by the Time Attack cars which have much more liberal rules.

We will be addressing the Aero on the car in the coming months as we will be working with someone called Andrew Brilliant in direct consultation. Hopefully we can get some more efficient Aero on the car next year. The issue with putting large rear wings on cars is struggling to match the frontal downforce. Everyone is chasing this. Thatís why we put the largest splitter that the rules allowed in the WTAC event. It is still only a flat piece of wood without frontal diffusers underneath and that will also be addressed. As for Random Wings and vents, well the wing is designed by Simon McBeath who is also a very well known Aerodynamicist. It is highly efficient and way more so that most you would see including Porsche factory. The ducted cooling system is designed for further Aero efficiency and downforce and so are the vents and openings on the hood and fenders. They help to remove hot and pressurised underhood air around and above the car rather than underneath which is more common and also causes unwanted lift. Look at virtually any current non open wheel racing car nowdays and they almost all have vents Iím no Aerodynamicist but Iíve learned a bit along the way and have been in consultation with Simon McBeath on a semi regular basis. Having said that, he didnít design the front Canards and suggested that theyíre not ideal so we can redress that next year.

As far as the power goes, well 505whp (not bhp) on a conservative Dyno Dynamics dyno. Many International car enthusiasts around the world feel that US dynoís can be somewhat optimistic at times. Comparing similar mods on an engine from one dyno to the next is pointless, let alone in different countries. The 8v motors suffer due to limitations in valve size and we have increased our intake valves from the stock 45mm to 49mm so that is a large increase. A limiting factor is that we were stuck with the stock intake and we will address this also at some time in the future. The car weighs just over 2500lbs wet so the power to weight ratio is pretty fair.

As far as the event went, we never got a chance to get our best lap in. We had ongoing issues with the fuel injís getting clogged up by the particular brand of E85 which meant a lot of time lost swapping over injs during the event. There was also quite a lot of oil downs and poor driving (blocking) by our competitors. Given a half decent chance we would have been the fastest RWD car in our Class. Considering that we were also running on only 19psi in hot weather meant about 430whp compared to many of our competitors with 4wd running 600-800whp along with SQ transmissions and ABS. We never felt we were going to threaten the fastest cars and when the turbo failed on the 1st afternoon of the 2 day event we were cactus. 2 rather obscure bolts on the turbo hotside housing backed out just enough for the housing to move off axis and that was all she wrote.

The 968 trans isnít ideal. The ratios themselves are not bad but the shifting is less precise than my old 5 speed. Ideally I would like to change to a Sequential Transmission but that looks to be about a $40k project which is out of my reach currently! We definitely lose out on the track compared to many of the JDM cars with an SQ trans but it is what it is.

So while the car doesnít please the purists, it is designed for a purpose. It will continue to be developed (as most race cars are never finished) and we hope to find marked improvement over the next few years.
Personally, I like the look of it from certain angles and it has taken the T.A. world by surprise. So Iím proud to represent the 944 series car and shall continue to do so.

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 12-18-2013, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
Hey mate!

Lots a luck. I think it's neat what you're doing even if we disagree about the aesthetics. Everyone oughta follow their dreams, wherever they lead...

He who hesitates is lost.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Like I said Mike, I don't disagree on every level. I am used to looking at Time Attack cars and DTM cars. Check them out and see how much wings/vent/diffusers etc they're running. It's not there for show..lol..It's all about downforce. Downforce over drag over heat. They're the 3 criteria for all racecars now. I guess it's like drifting. A different scene for the young crowd. I don't particularly like it that much, but I do admire their skills. Time Attack is the new form of racing that more and more people are being attracted to. We can't all afford to race door to door...especially outside of the US. It's way more expensive and rebuilding cars all the time just isn't in the budget. T.A. allows guys to build amazing cars that are highly effective yet have less risk of major/minor accidents. Some of these cars are seriously fast. Waaaaaaaay faster than a 997Cup car (which are very quick!)...and they're on R spec rubber!!

I'll keep plugging away. :-)

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 12-19-2013, 12:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
curtisr

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepellegrini View Post
I dunno. I think it looks like a SubaruHondaPorscheEdsel. With a cow catcher.
Ha, ha, ha! This could probably used to plow driveways in the winter.
1987 924s Garnet Red
1982 928 Silver (sold)
Old 12-19-2013, 02:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
"That would scare me, if I saw that in my review mirror!
Wow, that's cool!!!! Pretty impressive what you can do with these platforms, after all these years!
Old 12-19-2013, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I think Im a purist when it comes to 944s, but it doesnt mean I cant appreciate other builds like this one.
I love the look on this, especially the rivets. It reminds me of something similar to combat equipment.
It definitely has a presents to it. :P

Much like this one:

Last edited by starryknite; 12-19-2013 at 09:19 AM..
Old 12-19-2013, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Garage
When I see rivets, it makes me think the person couldn't afford a REAL body and fender guy.

The same flares blended in smooth would look cool.

But in my subjective view, rivets just look half-a$$ed.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Frankly my dear....

Garage
Wink A case of deja vu?

^^^ Surely that is the same car? Albeit an earlier version prior to its crash and subsequent rebuild?

Actually I think the crash happened before this build...then they converted it to what it is now.
Metallic Black 1980 924 - Those were the days....
Red 1979 924 - Hmm Minerva blue 1979 924 - Where it all began!

Last edited by rhett; 12-19-2013 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Bit more info
Old 12-19-2013, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
An interesting build for sure. Time Attack/Time Trials is my personal game of choice and offers a lot of bang for the buck compared with Club Racing or Pirrelli GT3 Cup. I am not sure I agree with all the aero choices but I see this stuff on a lot of the TA cars here in SoCal. It would be fun to see how this car stacks up against Eric Oviatt's well developed 3.6L TA Boxster or Loren Beggs turbo Frankencayman.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
^^^ Surely that is the same car? Albeit an earlier version prior to its crash and subsequent rebuild?
Thats not the same car, just an example of how rivets, IMO can give a car "presents."
Old 12-19-2013, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: