Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
Engine fan keeps running....

My engine fan kept running today for at least 4-5 hours after I turned the car off and now the battery is totally dead. Any ideas on what could cause this? I'm thinking maybe the thermostat went bad....

I didn't even know the fan was running the whole time. Someone told me about an hour ago that he heard my fan running a while back (about ~8PM- now it is 11:15). I last drove the car at about 4pm, so the fan was probably running at least 4 hours.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 09-03-2002, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
Easy Problem! DUDE, replace you Thermal Switch! Thats all, have a nice day.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Whatever you do, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the replacement thermoswitch. It is located on the driver's side of the radiator on the plastic part. VERY easy to strip. I think it needs something like 18 ftlbs of torque. Use a new gasket.
Old 09-04-2002, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Jump started it and drove it over to my mechanic this morning. Turned the car off at the mechanic and the fan turned off as it should . They said it was either a relay or a thermal switch that got stuck. They can't figure out exactly what it is until the problem occurs again. I just left the car there and they will fool around with as see if it happens again. Thanks for the replies guys.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 09-04-2002, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

DUDE!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!! All you have to dude is replace the $20 switch! It will take you less then a hour to do! Unless that mechanic is good friends with you they are probably going to overcharge you for the switch and charge you like $100 to install it! Even if the switch did get stuck and it freed it's self up, thats bad! That switch shouldnt get stuck, if it did it's time to replace it. They are probably going to dig up a WHOLE list of stuff that you "need to replace". Wher you live? Why don't you bring it my, I'll install a new one for 100+ beans
Old 09-04-2002, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Its only a $20 switch? Wow, they quoted me about $130, including labor. That sucks. I think I'll just take my car back and replace the friggin' thing myself.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 09-04-2002, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yeah, HA HA HA! The Thermal Switch is one of the easiest thing you can fix. Write again if you need with the procedure. Here is the switch, it's $16!

Last edited by overkill; 09-04-2002 at 12:32 PM..
Old 09-04-2002, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Before changing the thermo switch just disconnect it to see if it stops the fan from rotating. If it does then you sure your problem is the thermo switch. On the other hand as it happened to me if you have AC and the coolant pressure is low then there is another switch indicating low pressure that can trigger the fans to go.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: