Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
944 oil leak problem

I just bought a 1984 porsche 944 and I'm trying to fix it. It has a very bad oil leak. A mechanic told me it was either the oil pressure relief valve or the cam seal. I did some research and took some things apart and it was both of those. But I don't have enough money for a completely knew oprv. Is there any way i can fix it cheaply or what?

Old 03-31-2014, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Dalton_:

First and foremost, " Welcome "to Porsche ownership and the Pelican clan!

Second, I really don't want to sound harsh here, but if you bought a Porsche hoping to fix things cheaply, you bought the wrong car.

Nothing on a Porsche is cheap, and if you fix it cheaply, you will regret it. Now, as for the OPRV, buy a new one or find one on Ebay since there you should be able to find a good used one for $100.00 or less shipped.

Post pictures of the engine compartment and anything else that helps us on this end to help you. Otherwise, we all are just guessing at what might actually be your problem.

Also, a Porsche 944 should not leak any oil, period! These are some of the best built, so if you have an oil leak it is best to 1)track down the leak and fix it, or 2) part out the car if the engine is beyond repair. Listen to me now and believe me later, you do NOT want to drive a 944 that leaks oil.

Did your car come with any records? Maintenance records go a long way in telling you what exactly needs to be worked on next. The factory manuals are your best resource for working on these cars. The Haynes manual is considered "okay" because it does cover the necessary maintenance areas and has some good pictures describing the work needing to be done.

Another resource for your car is, Clarks-Garage , their website has very good information about the 944, and also use the "search" function above which helps you find information quickly on this site.

If I were you, I would start with the basics and make sure all the other components are in good working order before you start throwing money at this car. Ask me how I know this?

Hope this helps, and I do hope you can find the problem so you can enjoy a Porsche.
1987 944 Manual (Donated to the Nat. Kidney Foundation)
1987 944 Automatic (Recently sold to another Pelican)
Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

As above. Plus, do a search for 'oil cooler reseal'. You probably don't need a new OPRV. Also search for cam tower reseal. The seals and gaskets themselves are not expensive, but doing something incorrectly is...

Again: welcome!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I replaced the "O" rings on my OPRV and that particular oil leak was gone. However, since all the rubber seals on the engine are of the same age, expect more leaks as time progresses. Since I couldn't trust the maintenance records of my latest ('87 N/A)

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I replaced the "O" rings on my OPRV and that particular oil leak was gone. However, since all the rubber seals on the engine are of the same age, expect more leaks as time progresses. Since I couldn't trust the maintenance records of my latest ('87 N/A) I chose to zero time all the common maintenance items on this car. I did the belts, water pump and while in there, I replaced all the rubber seals in the front of the engine, and the Rear Main Seal and throttle body shaft seal, all rubber. Vacuum lines, ignition components and while the RMS was being replaced, did the clutch as well (no more rubber disk). It's comforting to know just how long you have to go before you have to attend to preventative maintenance on these cars. Guessing is expensive.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I wouldn't replace the entire OPRV for an oil leak. As suggested above, it's probably one of the O-Rings or just the crush washer. I posted a factory service memo a few years back on how to disassemble the OPRV to replace the O-Rings. Search the forum and you should be able to find it.

AJ
3bar Reg.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

uvachief

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to uvachief
Compression test on all 4 cylinders can reveal a lot.

uvachief
1986 944 NA Red 5SPD
Old 04-02-2014, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have a 85 early Porsche 944 non turbo, the oil and coolant where mixing so I changed out the seals in the oil cooler. When I started up the car, no leaks yet when I rev. up the engine it started leaking from the OPRV. This is the older model with the spring and no o rings. What is the best thing to do.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Did you use a new crush washer on the OPRV? or maybe you didn't tighten it enough?
Old 11-04-2019, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
First and foremost, Markmarcela5101 you might like to start a new thread for yourself since this is someone else's posting from a few years back.

But, then again...no worries, since we all can gain some knowledge from what was said prior to your problem.

If this is all that was done, then you may have other problems!
Why? Because when the oil mixes with the coolant and then enters the engine (oil) compartment you can have problems with your bearings. Specifically, your Rod Bearings.

So, what you can/should do now is as follows: (Just my opinion)
1) drain your oil
2) drain your coolant completely
3) put a small amount of detergent inside your coolant system and fill with water so you can flush all the oil out of the coolant system. I do this with the bottom hose off so I can watch it drain which helps.
4) you can run a hose with clean water through for awhile, to ensure all the oil is cleaned out and the soap is gone too.

Next, fill with proper coolant (use the type that is okay for aluminum radiators).
Remove the oil filter, and replace with a new Mahle Oil filter (purchase here on Pelican Parts).
Fill with the proper oil grade for your area.

As above stated by member DJNOLOAN...make sure you replace the crush washer on the OPRV and tighten to specifications.

After the coolant system is filled with proper coolant, run the car with the heater on full blast and burp the system. In other words, run the car and remove the air from the coolant system as noted in the Factory Manuals (if you have them), Clarks Garage website, or Haynes Manual for the 944.

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck!
1987 944 Manual (Donated to the Nat. Kidney Foundation)
1987 944 Automatic (Recently sold to another Pelican)

Last edited by TibetanT; 11-04-2019 at 03:36 PM..
Old 11-04-2019, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

3 piece OPRV, no need to replace, just change the oring and gasket. I have done all FEOS, oil cooler, cam gasket, BB shaft seals, crank seal, new oil pump gear, etc... parts were less than $100. Haven't priced them lately, I did the work in 2007.

Last edited by mattdavis11; 11-09-2019 at 06:36 AM..
Old 11-09-2019, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: