Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
944 leaking everywhere

Until recently, I've noticed that my 944 has been leaking coolant and oil from the same spot. I assumed it was the oil cooler and the seals had in fact been broken. So, I had the seals replaced and everything went together fine. It's still leaking from the same spot, though. Do you guys have any idea why this is doing that? It's right about underneath the oil cooler.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Just a guess but could your head be warped?
Old 05-05-2014, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I don't know, but I have no way of knowing since I'm no mechanic myself. How would I check for that?
Old 05-05-2014, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

How does your car run? Has your car overheated at all? Are you going through a decent amount of coolant? You could have your car pressure checked to pinpoint the leak by a competent shop. Too much pressure could harm things.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting, yeah the car runs warm according to the gauge. It sounds fine, though, and seems to run smooth. I haven't seen any steam or heard anything worrying.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sounds like the head is fine then. If it were me and I couldn't find the leak I would do some research to local shops in your area and have the cooling system pressure checked by a good shop and you would know for sure then. Too much pressure can ruin things like radiators etc.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I've got some photos. What does it look like to you you guys?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Just curious, exactly how many seals are there in this engine? I'm thinking now that a lot might need to be replaced. It might be best to pull the engine and get some help to replace the seals.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Do a search on Clarks garage for the 944 model and take a looksy.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Alright, I am going to try to be as specific as possible.

The car runs smooth and sounds fine. For the duration that I've had it, it's always run a tick below the 2nd white line for whatever reason. After having the oil cooler seals replaced and the engine flushed with kerosene, oil run through it, and then new oil put in it, the car has been running consistently at or slightly over the 2nd white mark. No steam can be seen, no bad noises and it doesn't smell hot from what I can smell. Now, the guy did put straight antifreeze in it for whatever reason, so I think I'll have him dilute it tomorrow because it's supposed to be 50/50. I've got a small oil leak from what appears to be the oil pan seal under the car, though it's very hard to see under there. There is a moist area above the #1 cylinder on the exhaust side and I'm wondering if something is leaking from there as well. There is white steam that comes out of the exhaust whenever I drive it. Head gasket? I'd really like it to not be the head gasket but I suppose it's time to face the problem. Am I in danger if I keep driving it? All I want is for my car to be fixed and happy again. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Alright zedsn, I'll head over there. Being that this car is 26 years old, I wouldn't be surprised if every seal in there is either bad or getting ready to go.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Is that a picture of an oil or coolant leak.
If coolant check out the water pump. Are your hoses tight.
If oil, is it redish? It may be power steering.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
From the general location that looks like it could be leaking from the rear cam cover, or possibly the rear main seal.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
That's what I'm starting to think it is. Also, why the white steam? Could my head gasket be bad?
Old 05-06-2014, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
How long do you run the car? White steam could be condensation in the exhaust system and may go away once the car has been run for an extended period.

Have you "sniffed" the steam? Does it smell sweet? If the steam has a sweet smell I would begin to lean towards a bad head gasket, otherwise exhaust condensation.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Your mechanic put in straight antifreeze? That's a very bad sign...and it might be the wrong kind. Make sure he put it phosphate-free antifreeze asap.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Running hot, and steam coming from exhaust? Sure sounds like a textbook head gasket.
It could be condensation if it's not reaching full operating temp, or when first starting, but not if it's running hot.
Most antifreeze now days come pre diluted, and is generally phosphate free.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I am beginning to accept head gasket. I've sniffed it before and to my knowledge it just smelled like plain exhaust. I have smelled sweetness after he replaced the seals in the oil cooler, but it went away the next day and I'm betting it was just a bit of spilled antifreeze on the bottom of the engine while the install was taking place. Don't worry, I bought the OPRV tool for the late model and made him use it no problems with leakage or oil pressure there. I might have my knowledgeable and anal-retentive neighbor who owns an immaculate old mercedes diesel help me put new coolant in the thing. I'll have to check if it's phosphate free. Luckily I never drive far so it usually doesn't get up to or over the 2nd white mark. I can also see wet spots in various places around the head, dirty spots at each end of the valve cover, a whole mess of oily residue underneath the car and basically in most places deep within the engine bay. I've determined that the small drip is from the rear main seal *cringe* but it's about time to replace the torque tube anyway. I know a guy who sells good stuff for cheap. I'm thinking I might plunge into a project that involves a lower mileage engine and replacing anything that even remotely resembles gasket materials. I've figured out the prices and it seems reasonable given I will keep the car for the rest of my life. I've accepted that pretty much all the seals on my engine are probably bad and the synthetic didn't help the situation, nor did the kerosene flush (yes, my engine was filled with antifreeze from the broken o-rings in the heat exchanger. I had the mechanic flush it with kerosene over night.) and YES, I know about the rod bearings and the potential danger that can come with running antifreeze in the engine for too long. I figure since the car is due for a timing belt and water pump this summer, it would be so much easier to do it on a lower mileage used engine - that way I can still drive the car. What sort of oil should I use? Conventional or synthetic? Let me know because synthetic has not treated my well! Thanks for your input guys.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Conventional 20w50, depending on your climate, maybe something else. It's hard to tell where the leak is, but it may be that the crush ring on the oil drain plug is causing a leak because it was not replaced. Also might be the cork gasket at the rear of the cam tower. Anyway, since you ran synthetic in it, replace all the seals and be done with it.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Well, since there is a pretty big wet area between the oil pan and the bell housing, I'm assuming it's the rear main seal. The oil plug looks fine and it never leaked before.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: