Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Suggestions on how to remove broken-off radiator fitting?

Greetings,

After discovering a coolant leak from around the sealing ring of the plastic fitting where the little hose from the top of the expansion tank attaches to the radiator (27 in the figure below) I started to remove the hose from the barb and the end of the fitting came off - apparently it was broken or badly cracked about where the thread starts in the radiator.

I will be taking the radiator out tomorrow evening to get a better look but right now I don't see any sign that the threads on the radiator that that piece threads into are metal - so I ask: Assuming plastic threads on the radiator, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the remains of the broken-off plastic fitting out of the plastic radiator threads without damaging those threads (or preferably tell me that I am wrong and that the radiator threads are indeed a metal insert like where the fan switch is.)?

Thanks!

Last edited by notMyScreenName; 06-22-2014 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: Clearer title
Old 06-22-2014, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
You can usually get the broken threaded piece out with a screw driver, a Dremel can come in handy to make a slot in whatever is left in the radiator to aid in this.
Jon - San Diego PCA #516
1988 Granite Green 911 3.4L
2017 Reflex Silver Mk7 GTI
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1, 1997 E36 M3, 2003 E39 540i
Old 06-22-2014, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
You shouldn't have to remove the radiator to remove the broken off piece. And a screw driver or a picket knife should be enough to twist it out.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I recently had this same issue. I was able to use a flat (not Phillips) screwdriver to get the piece out. I searched through my selection of screwdrivers until I found one that just wouldn't fit into the hole. With a little pressure to push the screwdriver into the hole a small amount, I was able to get the piece out. Don't force the screwdriver in more than needed, as it will expand the part and make the threads tighter and thus more difficult to get out. The original part is not that tight a fit on the threads, so with a little patience, you should be able to get the part out.

Also, if you have a thread out (or what ever it is called), you might find one of these the size that will work.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
curtisr

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB968 View Post
Also, if you have a thread out (or what ever it is called), you might find one of these the size that will work.
Now that's a good idea!
I]1982 928[/I] Silver (sold)
Old 06-22-2014, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies! That is very encouraging.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Happened to me. Actually used an ez out. I panicked when i discovered it was cracked and the nipple just broke off with the threads inside. The piece came out easily.
Broke the drain plug on the 951, same deal with removing it.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I finally got back to this this evening and using the procedure you all suggested the still-threaded-in part of the fitting came right out with no issues at all. I used what I think you all are calling an "ez out" (I've seen different things called that - in my case a short bit with a sharp, sightly curved, left-handed straight-blade like head that I turned with a small flat ratchet). The ez out was short enough that I was able to get it, and my fingers to push on it, in without even having to remove the coolant crossover tube (the car is a turbo). So much thanks.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
944 turbo , 951 , plastic , radiator