Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Have 944, will restore

Crankshaft/Oil Pump Seal Replacement

Removed the front oil pump/front main seal yesterday and in following the Clark's Garage writeup, I am a little confused. I pulled the seal first as I was unable to get to the drive dear before hand. I slid the drive gear off as far as it would go, but it was hanging up on the end of the crankshaft and would not go any farther than 1/4 off.I pulled the o-ring off, which was as hard as a rock. In test fitting the new seal, it seems as though the seal does not have a large enough inside diameter to comfortable slip over the pump drive gear. I was able to slip it over and it was a nice fit and it could be pressed into the pump at this point. The pump gear will slide back into position and move past the seal as it should and seat into the oil pump.

So now, I am a bit confused. How on earth am I supposed to get the new o-ring past the new seal? It seems as though the o-ring originally sat behind the seal. I figured I would ask befoer I botched something here..
04 RX-8 Brilliant Black 6spd 86 Corvette 4+3
85 RX-7 Ocean Blue 5spd /80 RX-7 LS 5spd
Old 09-10-2014, 02:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

It's been a long time, but you will want to replace the oil pump drive gear (sleeve). It most likely will be scored from where the old seal rode. Polish the end of the crank to remove any burs or nicks to get it off the crank.

I don't remember much about the process outside the sleeve removal, which was a pain in the arse, but made everything else simple in comparison.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

Here are some pics. +1 on replacing the sleeve. You need to clean the end of your crank to get the sleeve off. Use sand paper or a red scotch brite pad.

Edit: First pic is how to press in the crank seal flush, and evenly. Works 100% of the time.

Last edited by CHICKS; 09-10-2014 at 04:59 AM..
Old 09-10-2014, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKS View Post
Here are some pics. +1 on replacing the sleeve. You need to clean the end of your crank to get the sleeve off. Use sand paper or a red scotch brite pad.

NO

Cam gear shoulder on the crank is OUT

Here is the PET diagram part 14

Or my picture...

One other thing,

Search for a tool press for the crank seal. If you install it incorrect, you will repeat the process again. It has to go in straight and flush with the engine block.

Van on Rennlist has made a simple tool.
Some other examples are on Pelican.

J_AZ

Last edited by John_AZ; 09-10-2014 at 04:46 AM..
Old 09-10-2014, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Andrew Gawers' Dad

EDITED MY FIRST POST: My first pic is how to press in the seal, NOT how it's assembled.

Last edited by CHICKS; 09-10-2014 at 05:00 AM..
Old 09-10-2014, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sometimes you need to dress the crank nose so the sleeve will slide off. A little sandpaper, crocus cloth and elbow grease and you'll be fine, but it's tedious. Still, it's better than galling the crank trying to get that sucker off by force. Make sure no sanding dust can get into the oil pump.
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

first time doing belts and seals, my son is the lead on this so I'll blame him! Forgot sequence of parts but it appears: oil pump drive sleeve, then the seal itself, then 0-ring, then spacer/thrust washer, then cam belt drive and so on. Why the o-ring outside the seal? That seems odd.
The oil pump drive sleeve, which provides the surface for the seal, looked great, upon seal install, I wondered if the lip didn't get flipped, hard to tell, sorry for our extreme ignorance, we are learning together. Looking to confirm parts order of install and thoughts on this seal install;
Old 06-26-2017, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

the o ring seals the gap between the drive gear and the crank snout, as well as aids the "friction grip" of the crank bolt in driving the oil pump.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I had to take a small file and dress the end of the crank a little to get the belt gear and oil pump off my 88S a while back when doing the seals. There were a couple of small burrs where it had been dinged on the very end when someone was putting on the belt pulleys I guess. Once I chamfered the end of the crank ever so slightly, the gears slipped on and off easily.
84 928S - Restoration Project
Old 06-26-2017, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

i like to use a tiny piece of sand paper and then green scotch brite to clean up the crank nose, a little oil or WD40 helps with the scotchbrite.
wipe it clean, then put some fresh oil on the snout and slide the pulleys on...
Old 06-26-2017, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Haven't been here in a long time, I have a question...I just replaced the oil pump seal and drive sleeve and can't seem to remember if the drive sleeve sticks out from the seal or does it go in flush with the seal? It's sticking out about 1/4 inch now.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

May I refer you to John's pic above? Post #4. Sleeve should sit almost flush with seal.
'80 924 - spouse's yellowjacket.
Some wrecks and a 924 racer.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
Freaky,

You are on the verge of making a mistake many have. It's too late now, but I recommend anyone doing this job take a photograph of how deep the "sleeve" goes into the front of the block before pulling it out. It is SUPER easy to think you've got the splines lined up and its in all the way because of the crazy tightness of the new seal. You can't rotate it, so it must be engaged, right? Possibly its just friction. You can't push it in any more so it must be in all the way. Possibly there's zero engagement you have it misaligned and are just pushing the two parts ends against each other.

Find a way to get enough grip on the 1/4" sticking out (piece of oiled leather and pliers) to see if you can rotate it. I discovered I could on mine, so I kept rotating it and pushing hard until suddenly it went in a bit and I realized for the first time how easy this mistake is. Perhaps pull it back out, take a depth measurement from the beginning of the splines to the seal lip and put a sharpie mark on your sleeve? THen when you push it back in and it stops at the mark you will know you are NOT in all the way.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: