Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Im so confused!

Hi,

So heres the situation. I was swapping out my 1983 944 gauges for gauges I picked up from a 1987 924 S. I was doing it for the white lettering on black background.

Once I did the swap, I noticed after I took it for a spin that when I turned on the headlights, only the first 2 gauges would light up. The lights on the third gauge didnt come on. I also noticed the tach wasnt working. I figured I had 2 issues.

1. Backlight wouldnt work
2. Tach wasnt working.

So..........

Heres what happen my second time in there. Now in order to take the gauges out, I first pop out the cluster gauge on the left, then reach in and disconnect the speedo cable and it all comes out.

Weird situation #1:
So, before I reached in and disconnected the speedo cable, I decided to turn on the car. To my surprise, the tach bounced and when I stepped on the gas, it worked. So I plugged back in the left gauge and it died again. I unplugged it and it came back to life. I have two 924 S tachs and this happened to both of them.

Tach works only when the left cluster gauge is unplugged.

Weird situation #2:
This is with the left gauge out and the car on. The tach would work as stated above, but once I turn on the headlights, it would die. If I turn the headlights off, it would come back to life.

Tach dies when headlights are used.

Weird situation #3:
I replaced the background bulbs and I know they work for sure. I tested each of them by plugging them into the center gauge (speedo) and they would come on when I turn on the headlights. So its not a matter of them working, it when they work thats an issue. I noticed that when I turn on the headlights, only the first two gauges would come on (as I stated in the beginning). When I turned off the headlights, I happened to notice since it was a little dark outside that when I turned off the headlights, the first 2 gauges would switch off as they should, but the tach gauge turn ON!

So the background bulbs in the third gauge (the tach), would be off when the headlights are on, and on when the headlights are off.

Weird situation #4:
There is a black wire with a female connection on the end. There was no male connections for it on my original gauges. When I installed my 924 gauges, I noticed a male connection on the back of the tach gauge and since everything else was already plugged in, I figured it had to go there. It wasnt until my second time in that I realized that my original tach gauge didnt have that male connection. Heres what makes it weirder. When it was plugged into my 924 tach gauge, it gave power to the center console. The oil pressure gauge came to life as well as the brake light in the center console.

With my original gauges, there isnt a connection for it, so I was stressing out trying to figure where is wire goes normally since there wasnt a connection on the original 944 gauge for it. I figured I needed it plugged in for my oil pressure and center console to work.

Well, in the end, I reinstalled my original 944 gauges, but to my confusion, even without that female connection plugged in, my oil pressure gauge was fine as well as the rest of the stuff on the center console.

When the 924 gauges were plugged in, it had to be connected for my oil pressure gauge, etc. to work. So when the 944 gauges are in, is it just there doing nothing?

What am I missing here. Thanks guys for any help on this.

Last edited by starryknite; 09-18-2014 at 09:01 AM..
Old 09-17-2014, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I'm so confused

Thanks, I was seriously contemplating this job on my 83 for the same reason. I'm thinking now I'll consider swapping the gage faces on the tach and speedo.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Look on ebay for gauge cluster stickers that you can custom design what the gauges look like. I got a set and made my gauges white with black and red lettering. It took about 2 hours to pull the gauges, clean them, apply the new stickers in the proper alignment, and reassemble them in my car....no reason to pull the steering wheel either.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
1983 944 N/A

Garage
I ran the early 924 gauges in my 83, wasn't bad to retrofit and they work spot on. I made three sire leads instead of removing the wires from harness connector for the tach.

Here's the wiring for early tach ( thank kirk)

after installing

Dr. F. Porsche Stuttgart
Old 09-18-2014, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by POPS 83 944 View Post
I ran the early 924 gauges in my 83, wasn't bad to retrofit and they work spot on. I made three sire leads instead of removing the wires from harness connector for the tach.

Here's the wiring for early tach ( thank kirk)

after installing

Wait. I have both that RPM and speedo gauge. The connections on the back are not the same as my 83 gauges. How did you get those to work?
Old 09-18-2014, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
oh wait, you state it rite there how you did the tach.... :/

but what about the RPM gauge?

Last edited by starryknite; 09-18-2014 at 09:06 AM..
Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryknite View Post
oh wait, you state it rite there how you did the tach.... :/

but what about the RPM gauge?
The tach is the RPM gauge...
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 09-18-2014, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
:/ I meant the speedo. feeling dumb, lol
Old 09-18-2014, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
1983 944 N/A

Garage
The speedo runs off the cable, early 924 gauges do not have the miles per gallon meter.

Dr. F. Porsche Stuttgart
Old 09-18-2014, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I'll have to go home then and double check the connections in the back then. I thought they were different than my 944 gauges.

But does anyone have any idea whats causing the weird tach and back lighting issues? If I had to guess, I would have to say its something to do with...... voltage maybe? Is turning on the headlights draining power away from the tach? Is there anyway to test this theory?

Old 09-18-2014, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: