Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to horsman_f3
Transmission Mount

Is it possible to replace the transmission mount without dropping the whole transmission??
Old 10-01-2014, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes, the trans will hang on the torque tube which will rest on the rear suspension.
Late car is easier to replace because there's only two bolts holding the trans to the mount, swapping mounts on a late car is about a 30 minute job.

On an early car there are more bolts and less space to work in but still doable.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Here is a link to info on replacing/repairing trans mount without dropping the tranny.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Old 10-01-2014, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you for the great info!! Very useful!!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Curious, how do you know when your transmission mount needs to be replaced?

T.I.A.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

on the late car you can get under the back of the car and grab the tail of the trans with one hand and wiggle it back and forth 1/2" to an 1" either direction.

i call the late trans mount a banana hammock because its shaped like that and does the bare minimum of holding the trans in place. early mounts more solid by a long way.

i highly recommend the urethane mount trick as detailed in the link above, it makes the late transmission much more solid and the shifting is better.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply!
So if I can wiggle 1/2 to 1" than its time for new mounts?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

great idea. <--- not sarcasm, I mean I like this idea!

word of caution: you could be assuming the aluminum mount will slide off the tranny. There is nothing to guarantee it. That's right, I know from experience. Alternatively, my understanding from the discussion is the bonded rubber mount can be detached, from the carrier and the aluminum piece leaving everything else in place, in which case - the bolts can be seized in the aluminum piece - yes, I know from experience.

also: if you like, I have two unused tranny carrier washers FS, if you can make a good offer - not looking to profit here... I suppose a PM is in order...

Last edited by Bukowski; 10-02-2014 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: clarify ... perhaps.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Bukow, what do you mean?
The bolts shouldn't be able to be siezed in the aluminum since they are just through-bolts with nuts?

Unless you mean the 4 bolts holding the actual rubber mount thing to the big trans cross-bar?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
Bukow, what do you mean?
The bolts shouldn't be able to be siezed in the aluminum since they are just through-bolts with nuts?

Unless you mean the 4 bolts holding the actual rubber mount thing to the big trans cross-bar?
I knew I shouldn't have said anything, especially off-the-cuff and with little proof reading. But:

perhaps my memory is weak, but I broke a bolt off inside the aluminum mount. That's the two bolts that squeeze the rubber mount to the aluminum mount. I recall the bolt hole had to be retapped. It was miserable, but then again, was my first time.

Then, the aluminum mount that is between the tranny and the rubber mount - that was galled/corroded/whatever to the tranny itself. The bolts were too. That was more than miserable.

Then again, I never heard complaints about this, so perhaps it's just me. But just something to think about before one gets trapped... depending how the job is done.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you for all of the advice! I replaced my mount, as well as the urethane mod. Unbelievable new feeling!!

I am so pleased with the new feeling I have in the car!!

Thank you
Old 10-09-2014, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsman_f3 View Post
Thank you for all of the advice! I replaced my mount, as well as the urethane mod. Unbelievable new feeling!!

I am so pleased with the new feeling I have in the car!!

Thank you
How long did it take you to remove the mount and put it back in after the doing the urethane mod?
Old 10-09-2014, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Doing this project again, it could be done in a half hour. Except for the 24 hour cure time

Its as simple as the instructions in a previous link. And very much worth the effort!!
Old 10-09-2014, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

That confirms it - it's just me.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: