Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Vey, yes mister President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyardbodyman View Post
Thanks,it burns my *ss when people say you can't get any power with a naturally aspirated motor. In spite of that,I know there's plenty of power to make with na motor. For the short block-bored & steel sleeved,knife edge crank,forged rods,JE forged pistons(higher comp),stage 2 port & polish by Lindsey r,wide fire gasket,#274 web cam shaft,1 piece header,2.5" exhaust with electric dump,lightend flywheel & balance shafts,alum crank & alt underdrive pulleys,fuel rail & so on. If it doesn't feel fast,I'll give it some laugh gas(nos),he he. Start out with 50hp jet. Car's gonna be fully lightend. I'll look for some pics of dash project. I filled in the vents cause its easier. Plus I don't need them. I post more pics as move along. Cheers
Forgot to mention,you can paint the dash any color. Bright color wont get hot & give off heat under glass. It's an aluminum plate in center with gauges.
by plenty you mean about the power of a stock turbo motor.

very cool project, but after spending that kind of money, the only choice IMO is v8 ...
Old 11-07-2014, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
I'm building a naturally aspirated motor. I don't like the idea of a small block Chevy in a Porsche. To each their own. If people say don't waste your time with a na motor,that's what I'll do cause I'm an idiot.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I love the idea of a killer, high revving NA motor. I didn't have the money to build one so I supercharged mine, which is the next best thing IMO.

I also love the idea of an LS powered 944, but it's not for me.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyardbodyman View Post
I'm building a naturally aspirated motor. I don't like the idea of a small block Chevy in a Porsche. To each their own. If people say don't waste your time with a na motor,that's what I'll do cause I'm an idiot.
I understand you. If you were to upgrade 911 NA engine most of the people if not all would fully support you but with 944 because of its lower value the picture is different. If you are building the 944 for yourself and are planning to use it for many years, then it does not matter whether this is the most efficient way to get more power. You just do what make you happy.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage

Right on,I'm gonna drive it hard on the street & race the hell out of it on the track.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Sebscst
Keep it up dont listen to the haters. The mods are awesome.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Keep it up dont listen to the haters. The mods are awesome.
I don't think there are haters on this board For many it's rather uncommon that someone spends lot of cash on 944 compared to its current market value.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
I took this approach on my first modified car. I thought for sure that I could get where I wanted to be without an engine swap... It's a fun challenge to take the stock engine as far as you can go. It's true you will surprise a few people when you get to the top. It's much longer of a climb than swap or turbo.
“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 11-09-2014, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudo View Post
For many it's rather uncommon that someone spends lot of cash on 944 compared to its current market value.
What would they say about my 924 habit??

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 11-09-2014, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Everyone has their own opinions and ideas. If you give ten people ten identical cars to build,you'll get ten totally different cars. I have ideas in my head how I want to build my car whatever the cost. If I put $15-$20k into it,I'd say I got off easy considering the 944 is an awesome little car to work with. It's a shame they don't have much value because they were very well built cars. That's why we love them.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Might be worth checking this thread for reference. How to get more power out of NA, looking for 400hp ++ - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 11-09-2014, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Thanks for the link Patrick. That's unbelievable. If I can get 250hp out of mine I'd be happy. Wanna finish up with the lexan and some other things and get started on the motor.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage

I will eventually get around to the electrical.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage

Old 11-14-2014, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
3/16 clear windshield,1/8 tinted windows and hatch. New rubbers,you should always use new rubbers when you change your windshield. I'm not using any sealer on my windshield. A little pressure on a new rubber is enough to keep it water tight. After I paint the car next spring-summer,I'll use a little adhesive on the outer rubber.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice
Old 11-14-2014, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Thanks,gonna start on rear hatch soon. Then I can finish the wiring. I removed all the wires that I don't need from the harnesses. Just picked up a set of Wossner pistons,10:6:1 compression. Only 94 octane gas is available at the pumps up here. Gonna take an 87 block to machine shop soon. Have it cleaned,checked,bored,resurfaced,I'm not sure if I should go with steel sleeves. I have an old nitrous kit sitting in my shop that I want to put to good use. What do you think about nos,bad idea or give'er.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
My advice is to find a good dampener to run on the crank. Especially with it being knifed. I learned the hard way and am going away from my knife crank. Massive forces go through the cranks and these partially create bad harmonics which can lead to important metal parts breaking off a motor.
Look up RS Barn and talk to them about their dampeners.

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 11-16-2014, 02:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Thanks Patrick,appreciate it. It's a 2.5 crank and I'm using a stock flywheel(3-4 pnds lighter)., If I use my balance shafts should I still use a dampner. I also have my stock 2.5 crank untouched. Stock crank with aluminum flywheel and lightened balance shafts would also work well(maybe better). I also like to learn things the hard way. Maybe I'll try different set ups and see how they work. All part of the fun
Old 11-16-2014, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
I'd contact Pete at RS Barn and discuss it with him as far as running the dampener and b/shafts. When I bought my knifed crank back in 2007 I just thought lighter was better but it would have disrupted the balance. Note, I didn't run with that crank for any length of time until late last year so it's not like it's been fine all these years!

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 11-16-2014, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: