Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
less I know,more I learn

Garage

Holy sheep *****,separating the rear glass from the frame was no fun. Not sure if the hatch frame can hold down flat piece of lexan on its own. Gonna try with aluminum bar across to hold down the bends. Need to clean up frame,primer and paint with satin black. Lots of fun
Old 11-17-2014, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

the 944 is a great car, but I like the 67 GTO.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotagt View Post
the 944 is a great car, but I like the 67 GTO.
Great first post!!
Old 11-18-2014, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Just found out that knuckle head is my brother teasing me about a 67 GTO I sold a few years ago.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
That's pretty funny!!
Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage

Hatch frame seems to hold lexan down on Its own.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Forgive me. I was asked to provide pics and details of dash. These are pics I found on my phone. I found an old digital camera with pics of dash in early stages of repair. As soon as I can get them out of the camera I will start a new thread on dash repair. Cheers

Old 12-02-2014, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage

lexan fit really nicely on hatch. It's just sitting on the rubber for now with no hinges or latches.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Great project. Enjoyed the thread. That Lexan rear looks like a mission! Look forward to further progress!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

been peaking in on your thread.

almost done with my 951 DE/street. got it running but decided the clutch needed upgrade to match the engine mods/hp. about to dive into installing the SPEC stage III clutch and alum flywheel, and hoping that is the last major effort.

as the car was in overall good shape (ext and int), chose not to gut as you have as I will use for occasional street driving. even planning to rebuild the AC.

but your thread has motivated my thinking for a complete project on my 78 930 clone. along with some of the outrageous builds I have seen on that forum.

excellent work. look forward for further posts.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Right on,thanks guys. I'd like to know how that spec clutch is going to feel after you install it. I was thinking a spec I or II would be more than enough for me. Even if I get 300 plus with nitrous. I'm a little worried about my left leg as it's weak. Muscle loss and nerve damage. Ya I know,I'm not aging well. Now I just found out that a new left hip will be needed in the future. Pretty soon I'm going to need more work than the car.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Forgot to mention. That 930 clone will be an awsome car to do. I would love to see that come together when you get started. One day if I'm still physically capable,I would love to do a late 70s to mid 80s era 911. Something about the air cooled flat six design that I would love to play with. Cheers
Old 12-03-2014, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

How much weight do you figure you dropped from the car total with all the sheet metal mods and stripping, and how much weight just by changing out the widows with lexan ? Thanks to you for doing all this and documenting for the future, it gives me inspiration to build one of my own.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
I would like to weigh the car when I'm done. I'm not sure how much was removed. My guess is 400 pnds or more. It all adds up. Probably 150 in glass alone. The front and rear seats,probably another 150. Carpet and insulation,20-30,rear bumper with front and rear bumper shocks,30. Heater box,40. AC system,30. Head light motor and hardware,20. Hood,30. Battery,20. Door hardware,40. Add on 70 in roll bars. Not sure what else. These are all rough estimates. My guess is the car will weigh about 2500 or so with me in it. Hopefully less. I could do with about 25 pnds off myself. That's a tuff one. Lightening the car is easier. Cheers
Old 12-03-2014, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Raymond,

Quote:
I'm a little worried about my left leg as it's weak. Muscle loss and nerve damage. Ya I know,I'm not aging well. Now I just found out that a new left hip will be needed in the future.
sorry to hear. ironic as that is how I got the 87 944S I resurrected/refreshed for my Bro. guy developed severe arthritis in his left leg/hip, stopped driving it, and after sitting for a couple years I picked it up.

I am 63 and wonder how many 'good' years I have left for serious wrenching and DE.

getting old is not for wimps.

Quote:
That 930 clone will be an awsome car to do.
I hope so. will make every effort. after gaining experience by refreshing a few cars now, will take my time. got the car as the old muffler case split and exhaust burned some wiring.

I got it after picking up the 951 project. had barely started on the 951 and stumbled on the 930 and could not pass up the opportunity to own something I thought I would never be able to afford. and if not a clone, would not have been able to afford considering the current market $$ for 930s.

started working on the issues but then stepped back and decided to go all the way with it. once I get the 951 clutch done, will start by dropping the engine/tranny, stripping out the interior and off for a full repaint. still considering what I will do to the engine, have a lot of build docs, twin plug, modified, was told it had dyno'ed at over 400rwhp.

the work you are doing will an inspiration for me.

although my original plan picking up a 951 project for a new DE car was to gut it to be primarily a DE/track car. but as noted, this 951 was cosmetically in too good a shape. so decided to make it a streetable/DE car, and sell my 928.

1984 Porsche 928S - Rennlist Discussion Forums

I'll be posting the results of my clutch installation. hoping Mike Lindsey did not steer me wrong on the stage III hybrid and the alum flywheel with the intent of frequent street driving.

keep up the great work.

and now for some pics.

pic of 930 from PO.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Very nice,both cars look to be in excellent shape. Your better off with a clone car. You can have fun building the car the way you like. Rare matching # cars are to valuable to modify and play with. Not to mention very expensive. I like to value a car by its condition and build it how I like. Good luck with the clutch. Not sure,but I think the spec I is good for up to 300hp. The II and III probably 400-450. Corect me if I'm wrong. Cheers
Old 12-04-2014, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
As usual,forgot to mention. I'm only 43 but I put my body through hell when I was younger and now I'm paying for it. Keep me posted when you start a thread on your 930. If you already have I'll find it. I spend most of my online time on this 944 forum as that's what I'm working on.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Backyardbodyman;8382755]As usual,forgot to mention. I'm only 43 but I put my body through hell when I was younger and now I'm paying for it. .[/QUOTE

I'm 49 and still have the desire to work on cars, but like you, i've been rode hard and put away wet. I've had cancer twice, and from the chemotherapy, one of those old drugs caused congestive heart failure in me 3 times. To top it all off, two years ago, I was driving just a mile from my house up the County road when some idiot blew the stop sign and hit my 83 Porsche 944 in the right front wheel both doing about 60 MPH. I had my seat belt on, but I still remember looking up through the windshield as my head hit the passenger side seat cushion. I ended up with a pelvis shattered in 10 places and a metal plate installed, 4 broken ribs, broken sternum and 2 bones in my right foot. I walk just fine now, but getting under cars on cold concrete sucks.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Holy *****,thank you for sharing that. Good to hear your not giving up. I really hope you get through that awful thing called cancer. About 10 years ago I had back surgery and a few years before that I was pinned between two trucks. Squeezed me across my hip and tore my scrodum and sack open. Now I like to Bragg that I stopped a truck with my balls. My wife keeps nagging me to pack it in with the cars and I always say I will never surrender. Stay strong. Cheers
Old 12-05-2014, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Good Lord guys.

Quote:
Bragg that I stopped a truck with my balls
I just don't get it with some guys hanging those balls from the hitch of their trucks.

Quote:
Squeezed me across my hip and tore my scrodum and sack open
I recall reading an article about a guy riding in a rally car off-road race. they crashed big time, and the harness crotch straps tore open his scrotum. called it 'de-gloving'. after reading that, always try to get my harnesses across my hips good and tight, and 'position' the anti sub-belt before heading out onto the track.

sorry to hear about both of your injuries. my best friend my age died several years ago. he always said his health problems were not from age but the hard mileage he put himself through.

I got broad-sided when someone ran a red light at 50 mph 40 yrs ago. banged me up but ultimately nothing serious. but my chiropractor keeps telling me all my back and neck pains comes from that injury.

I have not started a thread on the 930. in fact, did not really start my own thread on the 951.

I should do both. unfortunately/instead I occasional carpet bomb other threads with my pics and comments as I did on yours.

I hope to be able to wrench and drive DE for a while, but know at some point both will become more than I can do. my dad, who was a mechanic, gives me another 10 yrs.

Quote:
My wife keeps nagging me to pack it in with the cars
LOL Mine too, but now at 4 Porsches I think she has resigned to the fact I'll always have 'some' Porsche(s) and wrench as long as I can.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: